Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my old 2014 smart that I just traded in, the 120 power cord was stored in the compartment in the rear hatch. In my new 2018, there is a very clear white sticker on the hatch that (in pictures) says don’t store the cable in the hatch compartment; only store it in the Velcro storage keeper it comes with. Anyone know why this is? And if so why have a compartment in the back hatch at all?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
By "cord" do you mean the 120V (L1) charging adapter? I cannot see any reason why you cannot continue to store the charging adapter in that compartment inside the tailgate if there still is one on a newer 453 electric. In my 451 (2015) I store both the charging adapter and an extension cord should I need to do an emergency charge somewhere.

By the way, if you have an electric Smart, you should be posting on the the electric drive forum, not this one - most non-electric Smart owners won't know what you are talking about in your last couple threads.

·
Registered
841 Posts
By "cord" do you mean the 120V (L1) charging adapter? I cannot see any reason why you cannot continue to store the charging adapter in that compartment inside the tailgate if there still is one on a newer 453 electric. In my 451 (2015) I store both the charging adapter and an extension cord should I need to do an emergency charge somewhere.

By the way, if you have an electric Smart, you should be posting on the the electric drive forum, not this one - most non-electric Smart owners won't know what you are talking about in your last couple threads.

Other than the fact you're specifically told not to...

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,107 Posts
In my new 2018, there is a very clear white sticker on the hatch that (in pictures) says don’t store the cable in the hatch compartment; only store it in the Velcro storage keeper it comes with. Anyone know why this is? And if so why have a compartment in the back hatch at all?
Welcome to SCoA!!!

Probably a question best posed to the folks who put that "very clear white sticker on the hatch" - Daimler/smart???

I was wondering why the change.
SWAG - it's smaller in width and might be too cramped causing the outer skin to become deformed???

It's your car - STUFF it in there if you wish? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Other than the fact you're specifically told not to...
Do you believe everything that you are told?

On my (now out of business) electric motor scooter, I was told by the company management to not "tamper" with anything on or in it. But in the end, it was only becasue of my "tampering" that it is still running.

And there are numerous cases where car repair procedures are best done differently than the factory repair manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got an official answer back, in case anyone is interested:

"The circuitry within the charging cable is not designed to be dropped from 2 feet over and over again. Even though its self contained within the molded compartment, slamming the trunk shut replicates just that. Due to a high rate of defects due to "sudden deceleration" they re-engineered the storage design."

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I finally got an official answer back, in case anyone is interested:

"The circuitry within the charging cable is not designed to be dropped from 2 feet over and over again. Even though its self contained within the molded compartment, slamming the trunk shut replicates just that. Due to a high rate of defects due to "sudden deceleration" they re-engineered the storage design."
Yeah, because making the electronics a bit more shock resistant would be so expensive and difficult.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, right?

My 2014, as I said, had it stored in the trunk. I didn't drive like a maniac down crazy bumpy streets, and I didn't ever full-force slam the tailgate. The power cord worked just fine.

Anyways, I have my answer. I was more concerned that it might have something to do with ESD after use, or something similar to that; but if it's just about bounciness and slamminess I'm ok with taking the small risk of storing it in the tailgate.

Thanks, all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts