Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my old 2014 smart that I just traded in, the 120 power cord was stored in the compartment in the rear hatch. In my new 2018, there is a very clear white sticker on the hatch that (in pictures) says don’t store the cable in the hatch compartment; only store it in the Velcro storage keeper it comes with. Anyone know why this is? And if so why have a compartment in the back hatch at all?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got an official answer back, in case anyone is interested:

"The circuitry within the charging cable is not designed to be dropped from 2 feet over and over again. Even though its self contained within the molded compartment, slamming the trunk shut replicates just that. Due to a high rate of defects due to "sudden deceleration" they re-engineered the storage design."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, right?

My 2014, as I said, had it stored in the trunk. I didn't drive like a maniac down crazy bumpy streets, and I didn't ever full-force slam the tailgate. The power cord worked just fine.

Anyways, I have my answer. I was more concerned that it might have something to do with ESD after use, or something similar to that; but if it's just about bounciness and slamminess I'm ok with taking the small risk of storing it in the tailgate.

Thanks, all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts