Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I have over researched to where I am now totally confused which oil to use in my 2008 model. Found a site that said Mobile 1 Formula M 5-W40. I live in deep east Texas with a pretty hot climate. I will be driving mostly to work and back 6 miles one way and no interstate driving. When I called O'rileys to check on that oil they could not find it and said their book called for a 5-W30 or 0-W30. What should I use? I have 85,000 miles on it now. Also what is the best oil filter and part number? When I started looking that up it opened up another can of worms!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Buy oil according to the temps where you live. Forget the factory specs. It's a Mitsubishi engine, not Daimler or Mercedes. I live in South Carolina, southern, and run 5W30 in winter, 10W30 in summer. That and a quality filter and you are set.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I live in SW Louisiana same climate as you for 2 years I’ve been running Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic European and a Mobil 1 filter. The filter you can pick up at autozone for around $8 and at Walmart you can get the 4quart jug of oil for $22

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in New Orleans, same temp rating. I use Bosch 3300 filter and Castrol Full Synthetic High Mileage 10-40 and have over 250K miles on the car, I change oil every 8K-10K miles ( 8K in the summer months and 10K in the winter months)

·
Registered
946 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
All oil companies make it mobile is the easiest to find
Make sure any of the brands have a spec. MB229.5
Read the back label.
This spec. Is important
I have seen cars not using the correct oil start burning oil when they get higher miles on them.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I have to different sized oil filter cap wrenches. One for the stock, smart oil filter, the other for the Mobil 1. Body shell, just a little different.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since any smart dealer is at least 2hrs drive, I opted for a local solution for the first service on my 2008 Passion... The Yamaha motorcycle dealer. I got a Yamaha 5DM-13440-00 oil filter (that cross-refs with Mitsubishi's Tokyo Roki filter) and 10 years ago it went for $17.23.

The stock filter is for a Mitsubishi motor (the Smart part # is A-132-180-00-10: the Mitsubishi part # is 1230A040) the copper ring can be re-used (part # A-018-997-44-45) The drain plug screen needs to be washed in solvent (solvent available at any parts store) be sure the screen is dry before re-installing- it does not need to be replaced. Minimum oil spec is 229.9, I live in a moderate-cool climate and used 3.5 qt Mobil 1 10w40.

BTW, a longer oil filter will reduce ground clearance, so that's a consideration.

The transaxle drain and fill:
Facing the rear, the plug on the lower right side of the diff is the drain... on the left and several inches higher is the fill plug.... Use Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil (2.4 qts).

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
This is my smart service advisor recommended. For the transmission oil. He used it, in all 3 of his smart cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts