Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm new here and in need.

I recently took my ForTwo 2014 in for inspection and apparently I need new engine mounts (both front and rear). I am skeptical at the pricing they provided and wondered what y'all think. They are claiming that it will cost 950 for both mounts as well as 480 for the brakes. No idea about tires yet, have to take it elsewhere for those. I assume I can get this done for cheaper elsewhere, btw. I have pictures available below.

I hope that y'all can help

IMG-9963.JPG

IMG-9964.JPG

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! You don't give a location but I'm sure you can get it done cheaper at a reputable local shop. Brakes are the same as any other car with discs (smart has drums on the rear). The engine mounts require some work (2.5 hours shown on alldatadiy.com) and there are various connectors/lines to disconnect. The shop needs to have access to a good online maintenance database covering the smart. You can find the mounts on eBay. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can attest that the eBay mounts seem to be acceptable. I recently installed a set and they look, feel, and fit like stock. I can't suggest how long they will last as I have zero miles on them, but others have more road time and will hopefully comment in that regard. I personally wouldn't pay anywhere near that for the mounts, but assuming it's at the dealership then they're using MB parts and that would likely cover the difference. If so it's moderately reasonable when you realize that $400 of that price is just parts. Changing mounts is pretty easy and any halfway competent mechanic should be more than capable. For the adventurous and the economy minded, it's within the reach of the shadetree with the necessary tools (torque wrench (20-90Nm), e-torx sockets (e12-e18), 14-17mm metric sockets, ratchet, extensions)

For the brakes, depending on what all is being replaced, the quote could be reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Welcome to SCoA!!!

As a DIYer, I can do front rotors and pads in an hour for less than $50 in parts. I find a lot of shops will give high quotes to cars like smarts and VWs because they just don't really want to do the job.

The tire you've shown there appears to be bubbling due to a broken sidewall, likely from hitting debris or a curb. I'd replace it ASAP and at the very least carry a spare for when it inevitably begins leaking air. It looks like it's give or take on the wear bars, anyway.

Reactions: gtdump

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Tires can be found at Tire Rack

Brake and brake parts can be found at Rock Auto...

Rock Auto also has one of the two motor mounts, the other is out of stock...

I will try and post a rear brake how to in the next few days...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The side cupping or wearing can be eliminated by adding 4-5 psi to your tires.

Do not exceed the max sidewall pressure....

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Side cupping caused by under inflated tires. Fill you tire up to the manufacturer tire pressure specifications. If you replace your front brake pads, use ceramic pads. No nasty brake dust. Make sure the rotors, are up to their thickness Tolerance specifications. They might need replacing too. The motor mounts are a easy replacement installation. Any good automotive service department, can service a smart car. Looks like you hit something. There is a bulge in the tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts