Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does it cost to replace the 451 coup clear roof?
I was surprised none of the autoglass shops that do windshields could help with the SmartCar clear roof, but it’s polycarbonate after all, not glass, so it makes sense. But none of the body panels vendors seem to seek a roof either.

Any ideas on cost and where to look?

thanks,
L’alpe

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
How much does it cost to replace the 451 coup clear roof?
I was surprised none of the autoglass shops that do windshields could help with the SmartCar clear roof, but it’s polycarbonate after all, not glass, so it makes sense. But none of the body panels vendors seem to seek a roof either.

Any ideas on cost and where to look?

thanks,
L’alpe
Call a smart dealership, if you can still find one. There are a few you tube video, on how to remove, and replace the polycarbonate glass panel. Once you bought the panel, any glass shop. Able to replace the roof. It’s no harder then a glass roof. The new clear roof, is a $760 part $$$$$$. Plus $96 for the sealer. Plus labor. Ouch!

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
...replacing the top isn't cheap...look at over 1K...a used one will probably be as bad as the one you're removing...there's no polishing that will cure the crazed blues...is not external....is within the plastic itself...

Jetfuel...next..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got mine pretty clear, it was as crazed as the headlights on mine when I got it. I treated it like a giant headlight. My headlighths and roof are pretty close to new looking. They felt like leather at first. A orbital sander followed by the orbital buffer on both and perfect polished and shine. Took all weekend, but the lights and roof shine like justice. It’s labor intensive, but detailing my Rover Sport and Smart are my happy place. Seems like every couple months they need a little rebuffing and look great again. Worth it to me.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
I got mine pretty clear, it was as crazed as the headlights on mine when I got it. I treated it like a giant headlight. My headlighths and roof are pretty close to new looking. They felt like leather at first. A orbital sander followed by the orbital buffer on both and perfect polished and shine. Took all weekend, but the lights and roof shine like justice. It’s labor intensive, but detailing my Rover Sport and Smart are my happy place. Seems like every couple months they need a little rebuffing and look great again. Worth it to me.
if you spray a UV protective on them. You won’t have to continue to polish them out all the time. thats what I do on my head lamps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes a sealant will work, I haven’t had to do the whole process a second time, I have only had mine since April. I used a 3M liquid cutting rubbing compound then a metal polish to get that glass shine. A sprayed on clear coat would probably be the most durable option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got mine pretty clear, it was as crazed as the headlights on mine when I got it. I treated it like a giant headlight. My headlighths and roof are pretty close to new looking. They felt like leather at first. A orbital sander followed by the orbital buffer on both and perfect polished and shine. Took all weekend, but the lights and roof shine like justice. It’s labor intensive, but detailing my Rover Sport and Smart are my happy place. Seems like every couple months they need a little rebuffing and look great again. Worth it to

·
Registered
71 Posts
TJ2251,
Can you provide a little more info? I'm curious if you wet sanded or if this was all dry sanding. Also, what type of sander did you use? I'm guessing a random orbital but I'd like to be sure. Last question, are there any RPM ranges you recommend? Too fast seems like it would melt the plastic and gum up the paper, too slow would just be a lot of extra time.

Thanks for providing this info!

Moderators, can we make this a sticky? It seems this would possibly help out a number of people that want to try repairing their roofs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did the wet sanding by hand (8 different grits - I didn't have any sanding disks when I got the urge to try - but would be a better way to go) and the polishing with an orbital buffer ( only sand in one direction ) - looks soooo much better! I plan on sealing using a Duplicolor 2 step spray kit when the weather gets nicer. I

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, so all wet sanding then. I was wondering since the video attached to this thread just shows them dry sanding the roof. Maybe the first couple of grits dry and the rest wet? In any case, it's all wet sanding for the final shine and polish.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
...try this...get a flash light and let if rest on the roof...now get inside and look at the roof and tell me if the spider webs are gone...
...the crazed or webbing that Macrolon polycarbonate by Bayer develops over time is internal....you can shine the crap out of the outside but it is still there and can be seen when the light hits it just right..
...we polish aircraft windows starting with 320 all the way up to 16000 ( sixteen thousand) wet....

Jetfuel...btdt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jetfuel is right - looking from the inside the crazing is still there, but from the outside, all the hazy, crusty, flaking finish is gone, just a nice baby butt smooth, glossy finish! And on an 11 year old car, that's pretty good!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts