Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing the math on charging my ED. Someone tell me if I'm missing something. We're paying like 11 cents per kwh. If I'm averaging about 3 hours per charge per day and doing that 7 days a week, would it stand to reason that I'm only paying about $30 a month to charge if I do all my charging at home? Are my numbers right?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,109 Posts
120V/240V? Amps?

For me, it would look like this:

120V * 12A * 15 hrs/5 days * 6/mo = 129,600 Watt hours / 1000 = 129.6 Kwh * $.12/Kwh = $15.55/mo

I use a Kill-A-Watt meter (120V) to measure usage, but this calc is pretty close to actual. It's usually about $14/month in my driving. The $.12/kwh is computed off of my bill including taxes/fees since it would only be fair to include those since $/gallon of gas has tax included.

Edit: I only drive about 400 miles a month on the Leaf (average over the last few months). The same conditions for an ICE would be atrocious - very short trips, rarely reaching operating temp, low speeds with constant start/stop, etc. Efficiency would plummet and it would be hard on the engine. It's a use case where the EV shines though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm running the 220 volt charger and since I have the car set to max, assuming 3.3kw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
A level 2 charger at max is about 3.8kW: 240V*16A. Might be less if your line voltage is low locally if you're far from the transformer.

Math is straight-forward:
3.8kW * 3h = 11.4kWh per day
11.4kWh * 30 = 342kWh per month
$37.60 at your electric rate. (I pay about twice that rate per kWh, plus 3 cents to use wind power instead of coal).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. At least I was in the right ball park. I knew operating costs were low on these but I though the number seemed too low. I'll take $400 to $500 a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
I have had my car for exactly one year and I prefer to look at my monthly electric bills. For eleven of the past twelve months that I've had my Smart car, my electric bill is actually lower than the previous year. That makes me feel better, even though I know it is costing me something to recharge it at home.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My OpenEVSE L2 EVSE provides the watt hours for each charging session and cumulative watt hours since the software installation.

As far as electricity usage, the car is being used 10,000mi (16,100km) per year and it is adding a noticeable amount - about $25 - to my monthly electric bill. I also buy the expensive wind-sourced electricity. That is still a lot cheaper than the gasoline would be on a gas Smart though.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I also buy the expensive wind-sourced electricity. That is still a lot cheaper than the gasoline would be on a gas Smart though.
Cool! Another wind-powered smart!
How much is the premium for wind in your area?
For me, retail (mostly coal) is ~ 20 cents/kWh. Wind is 3.8 cents extra. A small price to make a big difference!

An yes, $/mile still cheaper than gas!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Are you in a deregulated system - where you pay a regulated per-kWh distribution charge by the utility, then shop around for the electricity itself from a unregulated generator/broker?

For the Duquesne Light Company (SW Pennsylvania) the distribution charge is 5.572 cents per kWh. The generation (Tri-Eagle Energy) - which is supposed to be 100% Pennsylvania wind, is 8.66 cents per kwh for a one-year contract - for a total of 14.232 cents per kwh. It will probably go way up when I renew.

In comparison, the default Duquesne Light supplier rate is currently 8.07 and some of the cheaper dirty-source rates are as low as about 7 cents. Some of the other wind/solar rates (like Community Energy) are as high as 12.9 cents

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
actually, it's about $10/week (you get $5k cash back when you rent for 10 years).
Say what?

Okay, calling Fuzzy Math as the BAP $5,000 discount is not a "cash back" program but rather a cost deferral at purchase/lease inception.

At early termination (before the 10th year) of "ownership" you have a two part ED (sled + BAP) that could have a $5,000 (not prorated) due bill?

BAP says - "you pay $80 + tax month-to-month and you can cancel at any time. however, once you cancel, you can’t renew at a later time. in addition, once you cancel, you will be required to return the battery to mercedes-benz financial services."

If you keep the sled + BAP for 10 years you will have paid $9,600 (120 x $80) for your $5,000 "cash back." Or, you paid M-B $4,600 additional to "rent" and warranty their battery pack - making it actually, about $18.50 ($9,600/520) per week.

Note - it is not known if M-B will continue to offer the BAP program with the all-new 453 ED?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Georgia Power has a Super-Off Peak of 1.38 cents per Kilowatt. So for me, I use about 9 kW per day. 9 X 1.38 = 13 cents per day. I drive 4 days a week to work (not including some errands), so a monthly cost is about 2 bucks a month. My other car is a rubber incinerating monster that loves to burn dino DNA = it cost me about 250 in gas a month....BONUS. And, the monster car is very special limited edition numbered car - thus the great purchase of a used 2014 ED.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts