Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2009 Passion Cabrio and the carpet on the passenger side appears to have shrunk or is somehow misaligned. I can't quite tell how it's supposed to look at the edge near the door. I would have expected it to reach all the way to the edge and fit under some piece of trim or something, but mine just ends a bit short and is slightly raised.

If someone could post a pic of what it should look like when fitted correctly, it would help me out.

Thank You!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
How about posting a photo of yours and we'll tell you if it's normal? :)

For what it's worth, I've had a 2008, a 2009 and currently a 2012, and the carpet edges have been slightly exposed on all of them. What you're describing sounds typical to me and not a cause for concern.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I just bought a 2009 Passion Cabrio and the carpet on the passenger side appears to have shrunk or is somehow misaligned. I can't quite tell how it's supposed to look at the edge near the door. I would have expected it to reach all the way to the edge and fit under some piece of trim or something, but mine just ends a bit short and is slightly raised.

If someone could post a pic of what it should look like when fitted correctly, it would help me out.

Thank You!
Battery Acid shrunk the smart car-pet. Check the battery and the breather tube.

·
Registered
199 Posts
How about posting a photo of yours and we'll tell you if it's normal? :)

For what it's worth, I've had a 2008, a 2009 and currently a 2012, and the carpet edges have been slightly exposed on all of them. What you're describing sounds typical to me and not a cause for concern.
I agree. Coming from the old Lincoln, I was a bit surprised by this but you get used to it. Then again, fit and finish is another whole ball game on a $44k car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AHA! Hence the fact I've been asking for pictures of a "correct" carpet install. I had no clue there were pieces missing from my "new" used car. Time to talk to the dealer....

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
AHA! Hence the fact I've been asking for pictures of a "correct" carpet install. I had no clue there were pieces missing from my "new" used car.
It doesn't look like anything is missing, but something definitely appears "off" with your sill (the black metal portion next to the carpet). Can you post some other photos of this area?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would suspect that you bought a repaired wreck.
CarFax didn't seem to think so (single-owner, no accidents, no major repair work).

That spot on the weatherstrip appears to be some type of adhesive residue (perhaps from the carpet protector film that was on it when I bought it). I haven't had a chance to really scrub at it yet, but it's cosmetic, not structural.

Here are some more pics:

What I would expect it to look like:

On the drivers side, not so bad at the door but pulling away more towards the front of the car:

And yes, I know I need to vacuum! :)

Am I being to picky about this? Thank you, everyone, for your input.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Something fishy here... Why does the driver side sill look like its been sanded. There's no way a shoe could scuff it up that much :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something fishy here... Why does the driver side sill look like its been sanded. There's no way a shoe could scuff it up that much :confused:
The dealer had a plastic film with an adhesive backing over the carpet to protect it while it was on the lot. Some of the adhesive stuck to the weatherstrip giving it a dull look. I just haven't taken he time to clean it off yet. Looks worse in the pictures than to the naked eye. I'll post pics once I clean them up.

But the real question is how to fix the carpet that has started to curl up. At this point I'm thinking some adhesive backed Velcro to stick it back down and put something heavy on it for a day or two.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Weatherstrip would be the rubber door gasket... The sill is steel.. glossy black paint finish... Possibly excessive use of cleaning chemicals or water damage:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts