Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Countdown to Louisville - Day 8

Probably shouldn't do this but I'm peeved, to put it mildly, at the lack of info from Penske to the Louisville smart center. So, my car was offloaded at Baltimore on Dec 13, 2007. Still sitting there rusting as far as I know. First official day for smarts in the USA was Jan 14, 2008. It's now Jan 21 - 7 days later and no delivery info whatsoever. The Louisville brand manager pinged smartusa today and was told they are "moving cars as fast as they can" - not helpful. So, to keep some visibility on the situation I'll update this each day until the car is delivered.

There, I feel better now. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
John...it buggs me that you are more stoked about getting this Lil bugger then you were over the Z06..... hummm is the Brit mini in heat?

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John...it buggs me that you are more stoked about getting this Lil bugger then you were over the Z06..... hummm is the Brit mini in heat?
No, I was just as nuts when the Z was on order; the good news is you can track a Corvette through each stage of the production process until it's complete. We also took the museum delivery option and picked it up in Bowling Green, KY. If only smartusa was as focused on providing info to their dealers.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I take it then yours was not one of the 4 cars that was delivered this morning. Hopefully they will get the kinks worked out of the system, and work on a better tracking system. I wonder if the dealers can eventually tap into Precision's system...that would be nice!

BTW, rumor has it that one of the four cars delivered today in L'ville had "CDI" badging on it, despite NOT being a diesel. Those French love to poke fun at us!

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CDI - that is good! A future collector car. :)

No, our car was not one of those or I wouldn't have started this. It's not the wait, it's the lack of information that really gets me. Obviously somebody somewhere knows what's happening but they don't see the need to pass the info to the dealers.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
John

I guess you really don't want me to start up my "were were promised for $99 we would be insiders" and how IB is incompetent drum again

grin

Hope not my Nomex got real crispy

·
Registered
164 Posts
I talk to the great folks at the dealership alot. They are doing all they can do, the best they can. I get frustrated as well, but believe me, it's not their fault.

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talk to the great folks at the dealership alot. They are doing all they can do, the best they can. I get frustrated as well, but believe me, it's not their fault.
I'm not blaming the dealership (well maybe a little, as I think they should be making more noise to get the info their customers need). This is an information flow disconnect from PAG to the dealers and only PAG can fix it.

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The start of Day 8 and the only news is smart center Louisville is apparently charging $499 in dealer "fees." Have e-mailed the brand manager for confirmation and details on what these fees are. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And here's the reply...

"Dealer fees are $499.25 and they include all dealer prep and
notary fees. The fees are the same at every Sam Swope dealership and we are required to charge the same amount in fees on every retail transaction. They do not include license and title fees."

Have asked if the requirement is state or local law; BTW, the Swope Auto Group listed sales of over $434M for 2007.

Have a call in to smart usa to have our car diverted to smart center Indianapolis.

·
Banned
661 Posts
"Dealer fees are $499.25 and they include all dealer prep and
notary fees. The fees are the same at every Sam Swope dealership and we are required to charge the same amount in fees on every retail transaction. They do not include license and title fees."

Have asked if the requirement is state or local law; BTW, the Swope Auto Group listed sales of over $434M for 2007.

Have a call in to smart usa to have our car diverted to smart center Indianapolis.
amazing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
522 Posts
John, in another post, response from PAG about changing dealership: have a physical address in the state you want car delivered to. Got a friend in Indiana? Good luck, getting your car at another dealer. Fight buyer exploitation! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
John, in another post, response from PAG about changing dealership: have a physical address in the state you want car delivered to. Got a friend in Indiana? Good luck, getting your car at another dealer. Fight buyer exploitation! :cool:
That's if your dealer is open and can sell cars; Columbus doesn't open for another month so I think it can be done. Same reason the car was going to Louisville originally. But thanks for the info. :)

UPDATE: smart usa has forwarded our request to the regional manager (whoever that is) for a determination on the move to Indianapolis. This is getting good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Picked up my car from Swope last night. They said they had delivered only one other vehicle to a customer. The paper work was a day and half behind the actual car. They have 3 dealer demo's and as many customer cars - didn't say what they were waiting for.

Everyone at the dealership was nice - very new. Process took 2+ hrs and it was a cash deal.

One thing to note, KY requires proof of insurance before the dealer can release the car so make sure you have something from your agent that includes policy number etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts