Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I was sold a counterfeit Brabus wheel recently. First clue was the box with the Chinese label that it came packed in. lol

In comparing it to a known authentic wheel, I notice a lot of differences. Casting marks are not nearly as clear, final machining and finishing is not as precise.

I was wondering if anyone has run into these. Based on my years with federal law enforcement, a wheel with BRABUS that isn’t a real one is a counterfeit, or fake. Nothing replica about it. Take the name off of it, then it’s a different story.

I got it off of eBay (of course), so we’ll see how well their money back guarantee works in this case. The seller claims it’s legit, from a dealer, but then says that even if it wasn’t, i didn’t ask about it. So much for ethics. Needless to say, his feedback is going to suck. If nothing else, I’ll threaten the seller and eBay with interstate transport of a counterfeit product.

I saw where the Australians did a test of fake Mercedes rims, with some spectacular failures.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
eBay should back you on this. Seller saying you didn’t ask is a cop out. Start a complaint against seller through eBay.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already initiated a dispute. Seller has until the 13th to respond further. I don't expect to hear anything more from him.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
post a photo of them......

Run you car, by a smart dealership first, to verify if there real of fake. should be some type of serial number stamped on the inside of wheels.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
PSA? Posting a photo of the faux B’bus wheels to SCoA might also prevent others from making a similar mistake?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seller responded this evening. Says the rim is an “authentic” Smart rim. Interesting in that he doesn’t call it a “Brabus” rim, even though it’s clearly marked as such. I’ve attached some pics of a genuine Brabus rim that matches those on my 2015, along with the “authentic” one. Most noticeable is the poor quality of the casting when it comes to the markings. The “BRABUS” looks rough, particularly the second “B”, and you can barely make out the part number on the “authentic” rim. In addition, the mounting face is totally different. And then of course, why would you send a supposedly new from the dealer rim in a box from China? Deadline for trying to reach a settlement is tomorrow. After that, I’m asking eBay to step in. So we shall see. Comments on the pics are welcome. I don’t think I’m crying wolf here. I’ve seen a lot of Chinese fakes, and I think that this is another.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,456 Posts
Wow!! The differences are so obvious. It is hard for me to believe any dealer would try to pass that wheel off as genuine Brabus. It looks like a third or fourth copy of a photocopy from a printing machine. Good luck with your refund.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s with eBay. Seller has offered this excuse/defense:

“I have contacted the buyer twice regarding this item and can not reach a resolution.He insists it is a counterfeit item which is irrelevant because there where no claims made in the listing about the manufacturer of this item. Irregardless of that, the claim is baseless because I purchased this rim directly from a dealership in Wisconsin, and it is a Smart Car rim manufactured by/for the Mercedes Benz company. I have the original purchase receipt to prove this, and the original box it was shipped in. I had also clearly marked (under Shipping and Returns) that I did not accept returns.”

Irrelevant because you didn’t disclose that it was a counterfeit item? Nice try. But why lead with that if it’s legit? Nowhere does he claim that it’s a genuine Brabus rim. Because it isn’t. Last I looked, ebay terms of service said otherwise. No counterfeit products can be sold, period. If I was selling a Brabus rim, I think I’d advertise it as such. Not as an authentic Smart rim. So yeah, in retrospect, stupid of me not to be suspicious, I guess. Fool me once...

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
someone spent some time replicating the wheels. They might be real. The is a parts number, on the rear of the one. Different castings, MB emblem. The center hubs are sure casted different...

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
This is a Brabus wheel from madness...... the stamping, is really sharp. Better then both those photos you posted.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
someone spent some time replicating the wheels. They might be real. The is a parts number, on the rear of the one. Different castings, MB emblem. The center hubs are sure casted different...
View attachment 62895
The quality of the casting is off, even though the info is there. And yes, the hub is totally different. And then of course no mention that it is a Brabus rim. Combined with the (wrong) assumption that a counterfeit item is ok on eBay if it isn’t asked about. It just doesn’t add up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took a pic of the mounting flange on the back of one of my 17 inch Brabus rims. Same triangular mounting points. I’m going to reach out to Brabus to see if there was a change in the design. If not, could get interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts