Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much weight can the tailgate hold

i'm not certain of the years for the engines and i know you will ask for pictures but i am still trying to gain my skill to do it.

on you tube i have seen where a man removes a plug near the air box and squirts lithium grease for the actuator...mine does not have it

on another you tube a man is changing his plugs. the coil/plugs are visible where mine are located under the rear lip of the floor board towards the hatch....not very accessible where his were very easy to get at

so what engine do i have? i thought all those were 451s

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
The 450 roadsters (I believe) were easier to get to the plugs. And you still have a 451 as they were made from 2008 - 2017

Page 55 of the Owners Manual gives a weight capacity of the lowered tailgate of 220 lbs, but I wouldn't put that much weight on it myself. It also stated the rear compartment can only hold 110 lbs (I assume the engine cover capacity)

! When folded down, the lower tailgate
can bear loads up to maximum of 220 lbs
(100 kg).

On the youtube videos, look for the tail lights, the 450 has 3, the 451 has 2 on each side.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you jimvw57. i appreciate folks who just come right out and give and explanation without giving unnecessary lip service to those asking questions

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
WE were all new owners at one time and it is easy to forget how confusing the different models are, and how hard it i to find info in the manuals that come with the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts