Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I found that my front license plate was gone(!) and all that remained was the plastic mount on the centre of the front bumper. Dunno if it was taken or if it just fell off (the screwholes were not the tightest things on that holder). I decided it looks a bit silly to drive around with the mount but no license plate, so I removed that. However, where that was screwed in remain two ugly, rough holes in my bumper. Anyone have any ideas on what to cover those with? Has anyone come across maybe some plugs or something?

Thanks
Carl

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
You could go to your local hardware store and look for something nice to put in place of the crews.

Brass screws or bolts can be attractive.

Want something a little less metallic? While obviously not part of the base plastic, small cabinet knobs could be a nice look.

If the measurements were just right, you could substitute a hinged door pull like on high-end chests of drawers.

You might find small rubber grommets that just pull thrgouh the hole to leave a rubber cap.

You may not find a product specifically for covering unsightly holes on plastic automotive panels, but you can probably find something that tweaks your fancy.

Hardware store not working out? Visit the craft store for different ideas.

. . . or get a replacement plate.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I've had that problem before. In Florida we're not required to have a front plate but I had a nice dealer mount their dealer plate on the front of my new honda once. After I removed the frame I went to the local Auto Parts Store and hit the screw section. In the Dorman parts are plastic plugs made for concealing holes Looked factory when it was on - cost is about $2 for a pack of them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too contacted bumperplugs.com, and he told me there was not enough demand to do "one-offs" for the Smart.... My local paint shop did all three of my plugs and the gas cap when they painted the body kit.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have ordered a pair of black ones from BumperPlugs.com, as their website says it matches most regular black bumpers. I'll update this thread with pics once they come in and I've installed them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got my BumperPlugs. However, they are much wider than the holes that were drilled through my bumper, meaning that to install them I'll have to drill bigger holes. I don't really want to do that since in CA the cops can tell me to get another license plate, and if my holes are bigger then I'm screwed. Actually I'm unscrewed because I won't be able to screw the holder back in.

However, for those brave enough to drill away, the colour of the black is quite a good match. I might get a sticker and put it over the area where the holes are. I wonder what . . .

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Like I mentioned before. Look at the Dorman hole plugs at Autozone, O'Reilly, Pepboys etc. They are the perfect size with no drilling required so the hole can be reused after you get a ticket for no front license plate and want to reinstall. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts