Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully, even with the gas smarts being discontinued in the US, the “Cross Connect” app will keep evolving. I have some observations and questions.

- There is quite a delay in my iPhone syncing via bluetooth when I start the car up. Do others notice this? When I want to get to the control screen I often need to wait quite a while.

- Is there a comprehensive manual describing how the app works? I’m a bit puzzled by the “scores” and huge differences in mpg between rides (28 mpg one time and 41 mpg (!) the next).

- How come the car’s microphone doesn’t seem to work with voice command on the iPhone even when connected via bluetooth? It would be real nice to use the onboard mic to place a call.

- It seems that there might be a way for the app to signal you if the car’s alarm goes off. That would be a huge benefit, not only with break-ins but if the alarm is accidentally triggered and you’re nowhere close.

I really like integrating the smart phone with the car's own electronics and think there is even more potential there then already accomplished.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At daylight savings time I noticed that both the tachometer clock and the radio clock needed to be set separately. This tells me that there are at least 2 different electronic systems in the dash. Seems that the present iteration of the “Cross Connect” app only suggests what things might be in the future. For instance, if the app connected to the main operating system of the car, temperature, oil pressure, tire pressure and such could be displayed and recorded on the phone. Also, error codes from the engine could be translated so as to give the driver an idea what was wrong, rather than only seeing an “idiot light.”

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cross Connnect Music Listing Problem

We bought a 2017 Cabrio (replacing an earlier Smart Car) two months ago. I have been using the Cross Connect App quite a bit and while there are some glitches by and large I like it a lot. One major glitch however -- I can't get songs that I have downloaded onto my Samsung S7 Edge Android phone to show up in the music list. I downloaded some songs from Google Play and when they didn't show up on the music list I contacted the developer of the app at Daimler. The response was pretty unhelpful. Basically the fellow said that Google Play doesn't actually download songs onto the phone (even though I specifically tagged each song for downloading). So I tried using Amazon and got the same result with the downloads there. In each instance I can play the songs by selecting either Google Play or Amazon Music -- in each case the music plays fine through the car speakers using bluetooth. But if I try to then open Cross Connect the program insists on switching to the only song that Samsung installed with my phone -- a demo. That is also the only musical piece that shows up on the Cross Connect music listing.

This is aggravating and makes selecting music almost impossible while using the Cross Connect app. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had the same experience on my loaner smart with my iPhone. Could only play downloaded songs and not use pandora, iHeartRadio or google play music. Deleted cross connect app right then and just used the cradle as a phone holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
iPhone compatibility isn't the best with the smart 453 headunits but it IS compatible. Bluetooth works. You just have to be careful about leaving apps open indefinitely on that iPhone and making sure that if your iPhone is no longer in the smart car, that you CLOSE and QUIT the Cross Connect App.

When you return to the smart car, let the radio fully boot up and then go ahead and open CC from your iPhone.

Also make sure that if you have multiple applications on your iPhone that send audio out via Bluetooth, CLOSE them. So for example, if you're running Cross Connect and listening to the radio while you're running a DIFFERENT app such as Google Maps, that's fine for both apps to play audio simultaneously. Google Maps will interrupt to say "Turn Left" or "Turn Right" so that interruption is wanted.

But if you're running YouTube on your iPhone while simultaenously running "MP3 playlist" or something on your iPhone, it will cause conflicts that cause the user to start blaming the car because they struggle for control over what audio they really want to play vs what is playing but not currently wanted. And it also causes the iPhone to crash open applications and then the car ends up getting the blame for it.

The compatibility is more manageable with the Android system because when phone users forget to shut off apps the Android generally does it automatically based on what app is on the front of the screen, but it still can occasionally happen. Just not as often to become such a frequent complaint.

The phones will always update faster than MB/smart USA will be able to release an update or patch for the smart headunits. So more emphasis on phone control makes the most sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The trouble I have experienced with our new Cabrio is that you basically can't reliably use streaming or stored music on my Android Samsung at all since Cross Connect (1) does not "find" the stored songs on the phone, i.e. does not list them as available music on the Cross Connect music window and (2) bumps the music off the system if you are playing it separately, i.e. through the Google or Amazon play apps, if you are also running Cross Connect. I have had sporadic success at turning on the streaming app (amazon or google) first, then bringing up the Cross Connect app, but this ONLY works if the Cross Connect app is brought up on navigation. If you then scroll over to the music page on Cross Connect it knocks the music you are playing off of the blue tooth system and then starts to play the only song that DOES show up on the Cross Connect music page -- a demo piece that came with the Samsung Android smart phone I use.

All in all, maddening, since I really sort of like Cross Connect but am getting tired of not being able to stream music while I drive.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The trouble I have experienced with our new Cabrio is that you basically can't reliably use streaming or stored music on my Android Samsung at all since Cross Connect (1) does not "find" the stored songs on the phone, i.e. does not list them as available music on the Cross Connect music window and (2) bumps the music off the system if you are playing it separately, i.e. through the Google or Amazon play apps, if you are also running Cross Connect. I have had sporadic success at turning on the streaming app (amazon or google) first, then bringing up the Cross Connect app, but this ONLY works if the Cross Connect app is brought up on navigation. If you then scroll over to the music page on Cross Connect it knocks the music you are playing off of the blue tooth system and then starts to play the only song that DOES show up on the Cross Connect music page -- a demo piece that came with the Samsung Android smart phone I use.

All in all, maddening, since I really sort of like Cross Connect but am getting tired of not being able to stream music while I drive.
You can stream music while you drive, just don't use Cross Connect anymore. Stream it directly from within whatever music streaming app you want to use. Cross Connect will only pull audio files from your phone, so you will have to create an audio files folder on your phone so Cross Connect will pull from that folder. But streaming from the music app you prefer is going to give you much better presentation.

I personally believe you should be using Cross Connect to control am/fm, if you like the navigation on it, and other features like the parking app, the "green" fuel economy/environment animation, etc,.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand the point. In fact, streaming and just using Cross Connect for the other functions is what I have been doing except that this is sort of unreliable since Cross Connect will override the streaming app if you happen to switch the screen to the radio/music page. At times it also interrupts the streaming music even when nothing is done. Also, the albums that I have saved on my phone for whatever reason don't show up as saved on the Cross Connect music listing. Those, too, are only playable using other apps (google, amazon) and sporadically also get bumped off the system by Cross Connect.

Again, not a huge problem. Just an annoying glitch that I wish I could get past. (Also fidgeting with the phone when Cross Connect does bump music, either streaming or saved on the phone, isn't exactly what I want to do while driving!)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I understand the point. In fact, streaming and just using Cross Connect for the other functions is what I have been doing except that this is sort of unreliable since Cross Connect will override the streaming app if you happen to switch the screen to the radio/music page. At times it also interrupts the streaming music even when nothing is done. Also, the albums that I have saved on my phone for whatever reason don't show up as saved on the Cross Connect music listing. Those, too, are only playable using other apps (google, amazon) and sporadically also get bumped off the system by Cross Connect.

Again, not a huge problem. Just an annoying glitch that I wish I could get past. (Also fidgeting with the phone when Cross Connect does bump music, either streaming or saved on the phone, isn't exactly what I want to do while driving!)
I'm not sure I agree that it's a 'glitch' as you describe it. I too use Samsung, I've had no issues using Samsung's Note 4, Samsung's Note 5, and most recently Samsung's new Galaxy J7 V. If you switch back to Cross Connect there is an 'Play' icon in a round circle that you have to push for CC to override background apps. It may be a glitch, I want to be clear about that. But something in me wants to work your phone to figure out the solution to the issue you are complaining about. I believe there is a better way to use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is why I keep returning to the problem -- it presents as a "glitch" but I keep thinking there is some simple solution that I am just not seeing.

Here is how the problem presents: I either start streaming music or engage one of my stored albums and start listening to it. I then turn on Cross Connect. Sometimes as soon as I turn it on it starts playing either a radio station through cross connect or the one song that cross connect finds on my phone. This happens without me doing anything. More often than not when I bring up Cross Connect the streaming or downloaded songs I am listening to WILL continue, but if I move the cross connect screen (advertantly or inadvertantly) to the media/music page as soon as I do so Cross Connect bumps the music I am listening to off the bluetooth system and begins playing that one song it recognizes from my phone. And it does this without me ever touching the round circle play icon. And (again, paradoxically) Cross Connect does not recognize downloaded songs in its media listing -- only the one demo song that came with my phone. Daimler suggested, in an email, that this is a problem with Google Play, but the same thing happens with Amazon music that I donwload to the phone -- the music is on the phone but Cross Connect can't find it.

Is there a special folder music must be moved to? (Other than the folder that Amazon or Google assigns to downloaded music)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
This is why I keep returning to the problem -- it presents as a "glitch" but I keep thinking there is some simple solution that I am just not seeing.

Here is how the problem presents: I either start streaming music or engage one of my stored albums and start listening to it. I then turn on Cross Connect. Sometimes as soon as I turn it on it starts playing either a radio station through cross connect or the one song that cross connect finds on my phone. This happens without me doing anything. More often than not when I bring up Cross Connect the streaming or downloaded songs I am listening to WILL continue, but if I move the cross connect screen (advertantly or inadvertantly) to the media/music page as soon as I do so Cross Connect bumps the music I am listening to off the bluetooth system and begins playing that one song it recognizes from my phone. And it does this without me ever touching the round circle play icon. And (again, paradoxically) Cross Connect does not recognize downloaded songs in its media listing -- only the one demo song that came with my phone. Daimler suggested, in an email, that this is a problem with Google Play, but the same thing happens with Amazon music that I donwload to the phone -- the music is on the phone but Cross Connect can't find it.

Is there a special folder music must be moved to? (Other than the folder that Amazon or Google assigns to downloaded music)
If any apps are open prior to using Cross Connect, CLOSE them prior to opening Cross Connect. Within Cross Connect you will hit the round 'Play' (forward arrow) icon on the media streaming page. It will pull music that is in your Files ---> Audio folder. Move your music there and CC should pull the music from that folder on your phone.

It is easier though, if you have music organized within Amazon or Google or iTunes, to just stream your music directly from those apps so you have the entire range of playlists, audio mixing, etc,. You can easily toggle between different apps using the Samsung phone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use an iPhone and haven't been able to get Siri working through either Cross Connect or the Smart audio system in general (i.e. car mic doesn't communicate with iPhone). Is this a general problem?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I use an iPhone and haven't been able to get Siri working through either Cross Connect or the Smart audio system in general (i.e. car mic doesn't communicate with iPhone). Is this a general problem?
Siri doesn't work. There may be an update in the future to make it work, but for whatever reason it doesn't. My recommendation? Put that phone in the cradle with a short aux cable and leave the AUX input on permanently and run everything using your phone mic directly. Problem solved. Bluetooth is unnecessary. If you are using the phone to conduct a conversation through the aux jack, make sure you turn the volume down relatively low so the other party does not hear a parrot echo of themselves.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I stopped using Cross Connect with my Nexus 5X a few months ago and switched to Android Auto because I found Cross Connect too buggy and too poorly integrated with Android to make it enjoyable to use. With Android Auto I don't have to deal with crashes, it is much better at connecting with the car via bluetooth, music files play perfectly, and voice commands actually work.

I love the idea of Cross Connect but it just feels like it hasn't even reached beta status yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The new update for Cross Connect (for the iPhone anyway) is up for download! Haven't tried it yet. Hope it solves some problems.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I stopped using Cross Connect with my Nexus 5X a few months ago and switched to Android Auto because I found Cross Connect too buggy and too poorly integrated with Android to make it enjoyable to use. With Android Auto I don't have to deal with crashes, it is much better at connecting with the car via bluetooth, music files play perfectly, and voice commands actually work.

I love the idea of Cross Connect but it just feels like it hasn't even reached beta status yet.
Ehh, Cross Connect should be CLOSED and restarted if you have left the car and get back in it. When you get back in the car and CC is still open in your phone, that causes crashes and Bluetooth issues.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't understand this "turn off Cross Connect" issue.

I use an iPhone and Cross Connect, and keep the radio on, and Cross Connect open. As soon as the car starts, music begins to play, I pass by the warning sign, and all is good. Playing music works perfectly!

As for loading music to the phone, I use iTunes (about 60 GB of music of my music library is usually loaded.) Cross Connect has no problem finding the music, and gives me complete access, playlists, podcasts, shuffling, etc. I cannot use the radio controls to do this, but it's a small loss. I do not know how this works with Music Sharing/Leasing Services. I don't use these.

As for the update, mine updated automatically (an iPhone setting allows this for all apps.) I noticed yesterday when I recognized the new ability to add waypoints, a solid improvement that was long overdue. I checked today, and I now, at last, have the ability to turn off the speed warning. (I wish they would allow us to set speed warnings for 10mph over as well as the current troublesome 5 mph lower, which leaves it forever beeping at you!)

The App Store claims you can now use interactive navigation. I haven't checked, but this, too, will be a big improvement if true.

A long wait for a modest update. And probably a very long wait for the next one. But at least they have confirmed they continue to develop the app, and they have shown a good sense of priorities, I think, in the changes they have made.

I've noticed no other improvements yet, but one hopes it has improved stability.

Finally, I have not checked with the newer version, but Siri does not work with the earlier version of Cross Connect, nor while Cross Connect is open, I think. I doubt this has changed, but I'm hoping!

One more thing. I created a past thread that I hoped would be a place to ask Cross-Connect questions, make suggestions for improvement, etc. Can the administrator combine these threads? It might prove useful to keep such information in a single thread.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I don't understand this "turn off Cross Connect" issue.

I use an iPhone and Cross Connect, and keep the radio on, and Cross Connect open. As soon as the car starts, music begins to play, I pass by the warning sign, and all is good. Playing music works perfectly!

As for loading music to the phone, I use iTunes (about 60 GB of music of my music library is usually loaded.) Cross Connect has no problem finding the music, and gives me complete access, playlists, podcasts, shuffling, etc. I cannot use the radio controls to do this, but it's a small loss. I do not know how this works with Music Sharing/Leasing Services. I don't use these.

As for the update, mine updated automatically (an iPhone setting allows this for all apps.) I noticed yesterday when I recognized the new ability to add waypoints, a solid improvement that was long overdue. I checked today, and I now, at last, have the ability to turn off the speed warning. (I wish they would allow us to set speed warnings for 10mph over as well as the current troublesome 5 mph lower, which leaves it forever beeping at you!)

The App Store claims you can now use interactive navigation. I haven't checked, but this, too, will be a big improvement if true.

A long wait for a modest update. And probably a very long wait for the next one. But at least they have confirmed they continue to develop the app, and they have shown a good sense of priorities, I think, in the changes they have made.

I've noticed no other improvements yet, but one hopes it has improved stability.

Finally, I have not checked with the newer version, but Siri does not work with the earlier version of Cross Connect, nor while Cross Connect is open, I think. I doubt this has changed, but I'm hoping!

One more thing. I created a past thread that I hoped would be a place to ask Cross-Connect questions, make suggestions for improvement, etc. Can the administrator combine these threads? It might prove useful to keep such information in a single thread.
Trust me. YOU know how to use your phone and the application more effectively than those who are complaining about the app's alleged compatibility issues. You can leave the app open and hit the PLAY button, but if I tell people that and they have compatibility issues they won't understand why it doesn't work for them and they'll go on a rampage blaming smart, MBUSA, the dealer, etc,. It's sometimes easier to tell people to quit the app and start over again. :nerd:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Even with the Touch Screen Entertainment System, Bluetooth is not very consistent. I used to be able to see all my Music Albums and select accordingly while in Bluetooth mode but now I can only see the various albums in my Music when I'm connected via USB port. I'm not sure if it has to do with an update on the iphone that became incompatible with the entertainment system but it's quite frustrating.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts