Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon I will be making my way from North Carolina to Oregon in my Smart. Has anyone endured similar drives? Any concerns I should have beforehand?

Also has anyone used the Yakima roof racks for luggage? How was the drag? Gas mileage?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
29,155 Posts
Can't comment on roof racks (other than they kill your gas mileage) but the car is fine on long trips. Check all the usual things before setting out and you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Cruise control would be recommended. That was the worst thing about my drive from Michigan through Seattle and north to home - not having cruise control.

Needless to say, my car has cruise control now!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Smart roof's have been a problem area of our cars. Both crazing and some have even come unglued from the car. Forget the roof rack.

That's a long drive. I would take my title along in case I had to scuttle it along the way. :D :D ... Just Kidding.

Many of us on this list tow small trailers with our cars. They work out well for long highway trips. See the towing Forum here. A2Jack

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We drove from Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico, south of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, to North Carolina and returned with stops in South Carolina and Florida. We hit some construction debris and had a blowout in Mobile, AL, so we now carry a spare tire and jack; have not had a flat since then (2007), when there were not smarts in the USA. Our 450 Passion sure drew crowds.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Get a spare tire.
Definitely. Nothing will put a damper on a vacation than a blown tire.

Get a cheap spare on a wheel. At the very least if something happens, you'll be back on the road in a few hours, rather than a few days - due to shops not stocking our tire size.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I would suggest having your next 10K service done before you set out?
And mention to the mech that you are going on a cross country trip and ask if he can do a few extra checks?

Spare is also a great idea.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Plenty of your favorite music or books. I read where we shouldn't use roof racks or even tow anything. Some people put a spare in a denim laundry bag and put it behind the seat for just in case. Take a flashlight, phone charger, tire pressure gauge and gps. Basically, enjoy your ride. It will do well. :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Plenty of your favorite music or books. I read where we shouldn't use roof racks or even tow anything. Some people put a spare in a denim laundry bag and put it behind the seat for just in case. Take a flashlight, phone charger, tire pressure gauge and gps. Basically, enjoy your ride. It will do well. :)
Little trailer for our cars means around 600 lbs loaded. Many on this list are towing and so far have not heard of problems.

We always said the hitch was only for our bike rack.:D

[URL=http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/a2jack/media/Picture04013921PM_zps2652fad9.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
383 Posts
Smart roof's have been a problem area of our cars. Both crazing and some have even come unglued from the car. Forget the roof rack.

A2Jack

For maybe the 10,000th time on this forum, Yakima racks sit on the tridion, not the roof! The recommended system from the Yakima website has worked for our smart for 5 1/2 years, with ZERO issues.

Mileage will take a substantial hit, I've seen as bad as 34 into a continuous 25-30 mph headwind with the rack loaded and bulky, but we had a weeks campgear up there!

Enjoy the trip and heed the spare tire advice. :) Dave

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Dave. I see you have posted around 377 times. Not 10,000. :D

What's this Yakima mounted on the Tridion ? Hole's ?

How about a pix or a link. And please be nice. :D A2Jack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree.. the rack will cause substantial drag... i have the same rack set up for 2 bikes and you can feel the difference with the bikes on the roof. I can only imagine that a full luggage rack would be even more drag...

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
We pull a Harbor Freight tag-a-long trailer behind our smart on long trips w/ a cooler attached in front of it. Our smart doesn't know it's behind us. Maybe 1 or 2 mpg hit if we are driving 70 to 75 mph, which we usually are on the interstate.

I highly recommend a cruise control for a long trip. You get better gas mileage and less fatigue with one. If you have seat heaters use them periodically to relax your back, it really does help.I also recommend that you carry a spare with you. It's insurance against having a flat.

We have made several long trips w/ Tulsa to Las Vegas being our longest. Drove it straight thru w/ the only stops being for gas and a 1/2 rest/nap.
Have fun on your adventure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's a lengthy trip! I bought my first smart (back in the days of waiting lists) via eBay from a guy who took delivery and put it up for sale to make a few thou. I flew from Seattle to Burbank and he picked me up at the airport, went out to Thousand Oaks for paperwork and I headed for home.

The only "incident" was falling into a monster pothole going up the Grapevine on I-5, thought for sure something had to have bent. Pulling off at the first opportunity, I could see no damage, and indeed it still steered fine. Tough car!

I pulled into my mother-in-law's place near Fresno and took her out to dinner... and headed north again the next morning, that was a long day. Climbing the hills up past Mt Shasta at high altitude took everything the motor had, full throttle in 4th. But after that it cruised beautifully at 60mph, and refueling in Bend OR showed 43mpg (from Redding).

I crossed the bridge at Biggs into WA at midnight, and faced another long steep climb over Satus Pass, heavy use of throttle and revs. It was another couple hours home in Central WA... All in all, it was a good trip, and the car was a trooper but a turbo would be appreciated.

Being located out in the boonies, it's 120mi to the dealer in Seattle, and the nearest excuses for a city is an hour in the other three directions. So the smart spends some time on fast highways climbing hills, and it has actually done quite well.

Have a good safe trip!

Doug

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That should be No hay problema. Note that in Spanish, problema is a masculine word, even though it ends in the letter a.

·
Registered
246 Posts
cruise control would be the first thing, then a front tire spare (it fits behind the driver seat). If you are going through the mountains you may run into snow and ice. Consider a set of Blizzack snow tires. I've gone from Iowa to Virgina and back without cruise control and it was tiring to say the least. Cruise control was installed as soon as we got home. The '09 passion performed great. averaged 42 mpg for the 2800 mile trip. Be safe and let us know how your trip goes.
Buzzz 42

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
I made a 3,300 mile round trip from Panama City, Florida to Denver and back ... plus a few hundred miles in the Denver area. Other than some marginally severe thunderstorms on the return trek, and picking up a nail which I didn't address until returning home, no problems. Pretty good road trip car, IMO.

I 2nd the cruise control suggestions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts