Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
more info....

Mercedes-Benz Patents Designs of Smart Roadster Model - Carscoop

Back in 2001 at the Geneva Motor Show, Smart introduced a quirky roadster concept with no doors, no roof and no windscreen called the Crossblade. The Fortwo Cabrio-based concept eventually went into a limited series production the following year with Smart offering a total of 2,000 cars.

Fast-forward to today, and Smart appears to be readying a spiritual successor to the Crossblade as the firm's parent company Mercedes-Benz has trademarked these designs drawings of a two-seater roadster model.
Unlike the original Crossblade, which came without doors featuring instead steel safety bars at passenger shoulder height that swing upwards with the help of a gas-operated struts, the roadster model seen in these pictures gets a conventional set of doors. It also features a larger wind deflector surrounding the driver and passenger as well as Smart's trademark Tridion Safety Cell - albeit redesigned to look like separate safety bars.
Unfortunately, the patent filing does not provide any information on the vehicle other than that the designs were submitted on November 16, 2010. However, unless it's a previous study we're not aware of, we'd say the car seen here is a new concept model (maybe for Detroit in January or Geneva in March) that could preview a production vehicle as well as the styling of the next generation Smart Fortwo series.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
I really like it, but like the safety bar better because you don't see any cars like that. But, beggars can't be choosers.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,112 Posts
I like it! :) If this is the direction they're headed for the next gen styling, I think they're on the right track. The front is almost looking MINI-esque and that's not a bad thing.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,112 Posts
This is interesting. I measured the pixel width of the front wheel and the length of the car in the side profile drawing. Based on this, you can make an estimation of the length (+/- a couple inches) of the car depending on the rim size. The wheels/tires look like typical concept car large wheels with low aspect tires, so I started with a 16" rim solving with a proportion (105 pixels/582 pixels = 16 inches/x inches, solve for x, etc.).

16" Wheel = 88.7" Car Length
17" Wheel = 94.2" Car Length
18" Wheel = 99.8" Car Length

If this model is accurate and represents the next generation, then we're left with two possibilities:

1. The next generation car will be slightly smaller than the 451.
2. This next generation "Roadster" will be built on a slightly smaller chassis than the the standard coupe/cabrio. I would vote for this option.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Where do I send my $99? :)

·
Banned
936 Posts
Ok, where is the waiting list? I want to be 2nd behind Neon?

being 2nd behind 'neon' is just as good as being FIRST! :p

I think he's been on here from the beginning and well, it's been 3 years and he's yet to get one. lets face it, he's never going to get a smart......NEVER! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts

I think he's been on here from the beginning and well, it's been 3 years and he's yet to get one. lets face it, he's never going to get a smart......NEVER! :rolleyes:
I respectfully disagree. Opportunity has not been forthcoming for this high schooler....yet.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts

Sarcasm smileys don't even make such a comment funny.

Now go enjoy your blue Prius. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hm, I'm torn on this concept rendition. I feel like this is what the cabrio should have been, at least the back half. It doesn't quite scream roadster to me. But, I suppose that depends on what's under the hood, etc. I do like the styling cues, if it's any indicator for the next gen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts