Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
I proposed this a few months ago and have gotten no response from anyone. Steven had mentioned he would be willing to go this but the numbers had to be there (about 15 installs) for it to be worth the expense.

Cost has been around $475-$500 depending on how many people signed up. The more installs, the lower the price.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I proposed this a few months ago and have gotten no response from anyone. Steven had mentioned he would be willing to go this but the numbers had to be there (about 15 installs) for it to be worth the expense.

Cost has been around $475-$500 depending on how many people signed up. The more installs, the lower the price.

One of the problems is I think a lot of people might have cruises on their cars.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Steven did around 25 installs last year, which may have exhausted the demand for this event, or more folks are opting for the factory cruise control on the newer cars. :)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
The MDC cruise is easy to install as well and doesn't take very long. Yes it could be done at a rally if you had the right tools.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
Maybe if there are not enough installs to justify Steven attending, we might have someone who would care to do a seminar on installing and we can do a group project...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'll be riding my motorcycle through that weekend, and was hoping to do a cash deal with him, but won't have my car to with me to do the install (as many times I've heard I can put my car in my saddle bag, it just doesn't quite fit).

·
Registered
946 Posts
Nice sense of accomplishment when you're done.

Well, that and a sore shoulder and back from twisting around in the very tight footwell of a smart. I'd be more than happy to do free installs of the Mr. Dot Com (aka, "MDC") unit, if I didn't have to twist my 6' 3" frame into a pretzel to do so.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm really old, crippled, and a girl - and I installed the Area451 on my 2008 when it first came out. If I can do it anyone can do it. All you have to do is take your time and follow the directions. The MDC would have been impossible for me because I can't get down to the footwell.

JohnH did come through Bisbee on his way back east and installed the dash light for me, though. - sheureka

·
Registered
934 Posts
Nice sense of accomplishment when you're done.

Well, that and a sore shoulder and back from twisting around in the very tight footwell of a smart. I'd be more than happy to do free installs of the Mr. Dot Com (aka, "MDC") unit, if I didn't have to twist my 6' 3" frame into a pretzel to do so.
Then try the 451. No entry to foot-well required. They both do basically the same.

Uptown Dog Company

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Area 451 CC UPDATE - today I finally got around to pedal mapping (aka "Sprint Booster" by others) which alters the way your gas pedal behaves.

With 15 different levels to choose from, I chose Level 6 (a 60% gain in pedal action) as my start point and am impressed by the improved pedal response!

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
I saw the same thing. Area451 looked a bit easier and was designed for the U.S. version smart.

Try the B.O.O.H. mode Made me laugh as I felt like someone who had never driven a clutch before. I have mine set on 7.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I thought I read a thread that stated one of the cruise controls would cause the "check engine" light to come on. In Tucson we get emission checks once a rear and a "check engine" light is a failure to pass. Can anyone tell me which cruise causes the light, or do both?:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts