Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a Cruise Control side bar( semi hijack) in another thread

IN that discussion someone explained that there is a CC part that gets added to the steering column replacing one of the stalks. The new part has the added buttons for CC.

This is true but it is NOT the end of the story for this modification

Once the mechanical parts are changed, a Mercedes dealer must modify the ECU program with a TAN to recognize the CC hardware. This step will cost money and require the car taken to the dealer.

Several of the British Smart sites have good step by step how to sort of info on these mods

TAN = Transaction Number, a code for activating extras on the smart

Moderator feel free to move this to "modification" or any other appropriate area

·
Registered
183 Posts
fredvon4, What you say is partially true. In Europe the cruise control is a factory option and consists of changing the wiper stalk and programing a tan code, yes for a fee, to make it work.

The problem is in Canada, their equivalent to DOT in the US, forbids the CC. What this does is prevent any Canadian dealer from receiving and installing any part or code forbiddin in the country. This includes not only cruise control but wide wheels, smart roadsters and up until now, a gos powered smart.

There are some aftermarket venders who are sourcing the tan code and wiper stalk from dealers in Europe and enableing the CC. By the way the program is already in the cars computer, it just has to be turned on by the tan code. For these cc the car or at least the car's computer must be taken or sent to the vender.

There are also aftermarket CC units available that install a circuit board that connects to the car's computer to control speed without using the Mercedes program or tan code. These units can be owner installed and are basiically plug and play.

I hope this answers some questions.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smartie Yank

Great info and thanks for adding more to the story. This particular modification is important to me because I rely on CC a lot.

I learn at least two new things about this car every week

I am about caught up on every post on every forum I can find relating to the 451 Smart car..... whew! twas a LOT of reading

1 - 3 of 3 Posts