Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new, just got my baby on 8/6 in Vegas. Drove back to KS through UT and CO Mts. Cruise seems persnickety, or am I using it wrong? Turn cruise on, then press set, which stays lit for half-second and goes out. Won't stay set. This problem is intermittent, so could be operator error. Any input?

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Your car is a 2011? If yes, does the display show that the C/C is engaged:
With the cruise control is activated and a speed set, the following message appears in the multifunction display:

2011 C:C display.jpg click to enlarge

U.S. vehicles : (1) Cruise control activated ; (2) Speed has been set
From the Owner's Manual, page 101

·
Registered
287 Posts
check the back door...

especially check the back hatch/trunk...we often have the back door just slightly ajar and the only indicator would be the interior light if you have it set to go on when a door opens. If you have it set to off all the time, you will get no indication that the back door is ajar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The control panel on my 2011 red cabriolet says "cruise" when I turn on the cruise, and when it works right, it says "cruise set" when I set the cruise. But the last couple days, the "set" only appears momentarily, then disappears, and the cruise is obviously not set because when I lift my foot from the gas, deceleration occurs. I'll try again a few minutes later, and it will work fine. I get warnings saying "door ajar," or "tailgate ajar" when that is an issue, so, no, that would not be the problem here.

·
Super Moderator
29,149 Posts
I get warnings saying "door ajar," or "tailgate ajar" when that is an issue, so, no, that would not be the problem here.
Must be a cruise control feature - our 2011 doesn't do that (or maybe I haven't left anything open....??) :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had that issue on my 2011 as well. I just turn the cruise off and then back on and then I can set it. I am so used to it that I do not think about it anymore.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,859 Posts
I have had that issue on my 2011 as well. I just turn the cruise off and then back on and then I can set it. I am so used to it that I do not think about it anymore.
Nice (NOT) factory upgrade to the 2011 smart, a CC that requires resetting? :huh:

CC operation should be seamless, that has "go back to the dealer" all over it . . .

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can't blow a day of work to take it back to the dealer so they can tell me that they do not know what is causing it or they can not recreate it. I compare it to the occassional beeping after you turn off car and take out key. It happens so infrequently that it is not a big deal to me. Now if it does it all the time, it would be going back. Maybe I will mention it at it's 10,000 mile service. Should be coming up soon and I just got the car in May. Over 6,000 miles at this point. Still loving it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figured out to reset the cruise by the "old off-on trick." Must be a Microsoft product.... :). Think I'll call my nearest dealer to check out a real fix. I really love my smart fortwo....no, I mean REALLY! I still have stars in my eyes...

·
Registered
672 Posts
I am so glad I looked at this post - I've had my 451 since they first came out, and yesterday I couldn't get it to come on. I even sent an email to Steven! And then I read this post. And went to check my passenger side door. I'm really embarrassed (particularly since I've done this once before). :eek: - sheureka

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I am so glad I looked at this post - I've had my 451 since they first came out, and yesterday I couldn't get it to come on. I even sent an email to Steven! And then I read this post. And went to check my passenger side door. I'm really embarrassed (particularly since I've done this once before). :eek: - sheureka
:rofl2: we've all been there !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts