Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, maybe I'm super blind, but I need some help understanding something here.

There is over 47k documented sales of smarts in the U.S.A.

In Connecticut, my sources have told me that I should have well over 500 smarts in Connecticut.

If that's true, that means at our first event, about 3% of the owners attended.

As of right now, there are 33,382 members on SCoA. Let's say 40% of them were advertisers and spam. That leaves 13,352 members that use SCoA that are actually here because they are legitimate owners or not but want info on them (or Neon :D).

Now, how can it be that I am practically the ONLY Connecticut smart owner that frequently posts in http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f104/another-smart-sighting-35032/? I KNOW that many Connecticut owners are on this forum and drive on a daily basis. How can almost ALL of you go about your daily driving and not see another smart?

I encourage you to please post in the above thread. The Connecticut chapter seems dead with just me frequently posting in the Connecticut chapter. As president, I just get a bit sad that I seem to be the only person frequently posting in our chapter.

If you want to create an event for Connecticut, please start it! It would be great if we could get some frequent events going like I'm trying to start up. I need to contact the cruise control installer and see if we can make that one of our events. Before we have another event, I want to get more Connecticut owners involved in the Connecticut chapter.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, please feel free to ask them here or PM me or something! :D

That is all! :)

Sincerely,
Brett Harrison

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Lots of smart owners are probably out driving or outdoor work, etc. Things seem to slw down on websites during summer months.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
A lot folks just drive their cars. Its just a car to them, that get good gas milage. 90% don't even know what the SCOA is, or care.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
103 "members on susai and the Chicago group has died also. To alot of them think driving more then 50' is going to far out of their way. I decided not to do all the work of setting up the meets beyond the first one in April and there hasn't been one since. I used to have friends like that; I did all the planning so we could see each other but when I stopped they just went away.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I have been involved in many organizations over the years, and I can say this with 100% belief in what I am saying:

For any given interest: cars in general, a specific type or model car, history, outdoor activity, you name it, there are many more that will profess an interest than will actually take action on that interest. So, to put a number on it, if you have 100 people that fall into a category (professed interest in a topic), one of those will actually be interested in doing something about it.

Now, once you find 100 people willing to be involved in something to do with that interest, only 1 will be willing to "go out of their way" to do that - whether it is to host an event, be an official "officer" of the club, whatever. Of the rest, time and money will weed down the participation terrifically.

This seems to be a very small number, and it is. But when you talk about nearly 50,000 car sales, and you take 1% (500) as willing to participate at some level, and 1% of THAT willing to help run the show (5) - we are actually above average (depressing as that sounds) where we have several repeating events, etc etc. The 300 at Nationals (I think that was the number) is actually outstanding, given the distance most would have had to travel to get there. And when you look at the 1,000,000+ sold world-wide, and "only" 1,100 made it to the smart event in europe last year - it bears those numbers up.
Some of this is due to ignorance - they don't know you are trying to do something. We will need to see if MBUSA is willing to help us in this regard. Much of this is because people bought the car for practical transportation, and have no real interest in meeting with others who bought the car. Fact of life.
So while I am sorry this has hit you hard, I understand, and see the same thing here in the Charlotte area, and know that others are experiencing the same thing everywhere - many cars, not much interest in getting together about it. Hang in there, bud.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Welcome to trying to run a club! 10% will ever do any work. i found myself in a similiar situation last year. Very dis-heartened at the lack of activity in the Indiana chapter. So much so that I actually sent out an e-mail delcaring that if I didn't get more involvment, I was going to disband the club.

It seemed to work, the first two events we had this year had a great turnout. I have definitely had more interest this year. Especially from newer members.

Keep your head up and keep trying, summer is usually pretty dead. People have a lot of stuff to do, and attending a car event is usually low on the priority list.

Don't get to discouraged, it will get better. You're young, and have a lot of enthusiasm, most people don't obsess about the smart like you do. That is a fact you will have to get used to. Remember, youthful enthusiasm can scare off some people. Don't suffocate people with your enthusiasm.

Don't give up.:)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The HOUSTON area smarties tend to hang out more on smartusainsider.com instead of SCOA. That might be where your CT folks are.

OK.. I'm taking that back. I just checked, and there are 3 smarties on smartusainsider!! :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you thought about expanding into an all New England group?

A regional group would involve more forum members.

I don't see many, but there are at least two Smarts in the Portsmouth NH area I occasionally see, And unbelievably I was behind my twin in Bar Harbor..

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well said GBryers!

We have over 100 in our Houston club and rarely have more than a small hand full at any event. Some have even been cancelled due to lack of interest. The one that always has the best turn out is the caravan to Galveston Island. Sometimes as many as ten cars or more.

BUT lately we have a new format that has really caught on, and we have pretty good turn out so far! We've been having 'wrench parties' or 'swap meets.'

About a month back, several of our members were expressing an interest in changing their panels. Conveniently enough, we had 3 matches! I hosted the event on my covered back porch, with a brisket smoking for lunch. We got the panels swapped, had a great lunch, and there was a turn out of five smarts that day.

WELL! This caught on, and when we were having a discussion about DIY maintenance, we decided we'd just do it again! So next weekend, my place, DIY party with the smoker going with something dead cooking on it!! We have five confirmed and one maybe.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you need to find the other people and find out what the common denominator is other than the smart itself. In our case, it's just shade tree mechanics and barbeque that has us going!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brett.

It was great meeting you and the other CT Smart owners. Although in MA, I would be glad to join in any activities. Unfortunately I am moving to CO the end of July. I hope the chapter keeps going. And yes - it is human nature that only a few will be involved. The old 80/20 rule still stands. Except today it is more like 90/10. If only five attend your events, consider yourself successful as it means a lot to those five!

Keep on keeping on! :)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I was a member, board member, local chapter vice president and president of the Southern California Chapter American Truck Historical Society (ATHS). Same deal, 400 members and 10-15 consistently did all the work. One thing we did discover is that the events that did draw larger participation was FOOD! We had an annual truck show and twice hosted the National truck show. Saturday set up, BBQ tri-tip. Officer installation dinner, Pinnacle Peaks steak house. Annual board elections was held at Peter Dunkel's yard. He owns a large heavy equipment moving company (Dunkel Brothers) in Orange County (I think 160 Freightliners). He is heavily involved in cars and trucks. His wife collects Ferrari's. He has a musem in his trucking facility. The chance to peruse his private collection brought members. Peter usually provided food. He and his wife are super people, very down to earth. Bottom line, it's hard for people to just hang out. Have to hook them somehow into coming and then capitalize on it. Running a club, church group, planning wedding or a 4th of July party, someone is going to do most of the work and only a small percentage are going to help or participate.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Have you thought about expanding into an all New England group?

A regional group would involve more forum members.

I don't see many, but there are at least two Smarts in the Portsmouth NH area I occasionally see, And unbelievably I was behind my twin in Bar Harbor..
+1 New England is not that big. You can cross 3 states in an Hour.

Depending on traffic that is:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
such small states

+1 New England is not that big. You can cross 3 states in an Hour.

Depending on traffic that is :rolleyes:
One can blink and miss Rhode Island all togther. :rolleyes:

Hopefully once Mercedes Benz starts advertising the Smart, there will be more activity? Hopefully they will inform new owners of local clubs? :cool: I believe SCOA is listed at the Smart USA site. :cool:

There is a lot of people and cars packed into such small states. :eek:

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So this is the end of your President for life status 111?
LOL no, I'm not ending the chapter. I just feel I need to work harder to get it more active. This is my dream and my passion and I will stick to it.

I feel that my main problems here are:

1. Demographics...many people that have these cars are older and do not use forums regularly or do not even have a computer or would find out how to find us here.

2. People do feel that it is just a car and treat it as such. I do not frequently use the Nissan Juke forum just because we have one. I'm sure many thousands of other owners feel the same way.

3. Smart USA/M-B USA. The policies they have in place do not allow me to send out a blast email to all CT residents. Therefore, for owners that do not use forums, it would be nearly impossible for me to tell them about an event. I was lucky to get my first event mentioned in the last smart USA blast email to all owners.

I will work my hardest to post awesome car shows to all members of the Connecticut chapter and even work with other passionate smart owners to create rally events. I'm trying everything I can to see if we have something here in Connecticut. I will keep going until I decide that there is no chance of participation any longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings! Just joined minutes ago... we bought our first Smart two weeks ago. LOVE IT! Thought I'd check to see if there was a group that might go on cruises or whatever, and here it is! Doesn't look like many meetings, yet, but it may come to that!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tattoued, where in NW CT do you reside? We have weekend cruises at Heavn'ly Donuts in Derby, but it's not a smart specific cruise. I'm going to post some huge car shows soon that hopefully I'll be able to rally different state chapters and our own chapter to attend.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Tattoued, where in NW CT do you reside? We have weekend cruises at Heavn'ly Donuts in Derby, but it's not a smart specific cruise. I'm going to post some huge car shows soon that hopefully I'll be able to rally different state chapters and our own chapter to attend.
Perhaps bring out other Smart owners who might not be aware of SCOA or the CT chapter of SCOA. :cool:

This is my thinking when posting about the 'Out of the Woodwork 2011' in New Jersey. :cool:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts