Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be carefull of high curbs. If you hit them, They will break up the plastic skid plate and force it into the radiator and AC, break other tabs and repair costed $2000. I did not even know I did any damage till I got home and saw the leaking radiator fluid. Damage to the AC and radiator is a poor design for a Mersedes sibling.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Another reason to park at the back of a parking spot, It also helps people realize that there is a car parked in the space.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
curb damage

Running into curbs is also not a recommended procedure. :wink:
How many cars do you see with the front air dam past the edge of the curb?
However you have a valid point. I have a front tow bracket to which I added 2ea 1/2x8
Eye bolts as curb feelers.

The parking lots have high concrete dividers and I stay away from them. However,my accident was not in a parking lot but"straight in" parking in front of a store.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Been there, done that in a C5 Corvette. It even has a hinged center section on the air dam, as well as welded on guards for the lower radiator mounts - but it has a lot less ground clearance than the smart. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been there, done that in a C5 Corvette. It even has a hinged center section on the air dam, as well as welded on guards for the lower radiator mounts - but it has a lot less ground clearance than the smart. :)

I did not know that anything had less road clearance than the Smart.:eek:

Did the 67-68 Corvette with 427 have 3ea 2's or 2ea 4's carborators?
I remember it did 0-60 in about 4 sec. and got about 4mpg. I drove it from my neighbors house to the intersection (about 5 houses away) and ran thru the stop sign before I could get my foot off the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another reason to park at the back of a parking spot, It also helps people realize that there is a car parked in the space.

If I don't park at the back of the angle parking space, then I can't see if another car is coming, when I back out. I had not even thought about someone trying to pull into my space, not seeing my car. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
..if the smart wasn't low enough with my added front spoiler I have a whooping 2 inch clearance....I think this one is number 7 or 8...

Jetfuel...getting good at making them tho...

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Having driven lowered VW's most of my life. I NEVER pull all the way up to a curb. My Mustang would have knocked the front spoiler off. My Karmann Ghia would have done tons of damage. My smart is safe. Even though it's lowered, I'll never get it close.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I Park at the very back of the parking spot too, even with the rear of the neighboring cars. It does four things for you: People looking for a spot see that the spot is occupied, You avoid the swing of the front doors (and often the rear doors)of the neighboring cars, you can actually see your car while wandering the parking lot trying to remember where you parked, and the most important to me, it does not provide cover, for thieves or vandals.

I guess now I'd have to say it does five things, because you avoid destroying your radiator and AC. I'd never really considered that part before this post. I'd even avoid a curb that you "can" pull over, because a flat tire leaking down will drive that curb up into your car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I cringe when cars pull up over curbs and parking blocks. It's not just the Smart that can suffer severe damage to radiator supports and radiators. I can't believe people do it. The BMW dealer told me they see lots of expensive damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts