Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who purchased a new 2016 Smart and traded off his older Smart Car as part of the deal. His old Smart Car had a Curt hitch on the back of it, but I believe he told me that the new Smarts don't allow for a tow hitch installation. I may have misunderstood him about this and just wanted to check to see if that was correct or not?

Can the new Smarts be equipped with a Curt hitch. I was wondering if perhaps he had misunderstood the fact that they can't be flat towed for over 30 miles and somehow thought that meant they could not tow a trailer or such, instead.

Me, I have no clue and was just curious as to this.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
From what I saw when doing a little research no one offers a hitch for the 2016 yet. They said the same about the 451s not suited for trailer hitches too. I'm waiting to see if anyone comes out with one for my 2016.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am wondering if anything really changed below on the newer model Smarts that would make installing a Curt hitch that fits an older one no longer work? Never looked at a newer Smart to see though, so it is all a guess to me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a bump. Curious if anyone has found a hitch for the 453? Looking for a good way to carry bikes on my new cab. I already have a bike carrier for a hitch so adding one seems like a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Just a bump. Curious if anyone has found a hitch for the 453? Looking for a good way to carry bikes on my new cab. I already have a bike carrier for a hitch so adding one seems like a no brainer to me.
Looked on Curts website earlier this week. None yet. First one will most likely come from them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts