Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have stumbled into a good chunk of free time, and coincidentally have decided to start making videos of numerous projects. Among projects I would like to do would be make a smart of every flavor. Meaning for example I am doing a diesel smart conversion now. I spent to much time watching ostacruiser and his sherp. I would love to make a off road smart with like 36" tires (it couldn't get high centered), bigger engine 1/8th full under carriage skid plate, etc., and iron man style fleet of them based one the suits of note. The Mk I, mostly mechanical body panels of sheet steel, etc., Hulk buster, Cummins turbo diesel, dually, etc., I think the Mk 50 (the nanobot one) Make the cage and structure titanium, body panels carbon fiber, rear steer, and other high tech stuff lol. I am a welder, fabricator, and hobbyist, I have a professional IT, and master welder friends, and I am looking to make a large 3d printer maybe 6'x6'x6' at most 3'x3'x3' to start, and a metal one after that. If it works a body panels wont be an issue haha. Thoughts?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I've only seen 2 diesel Smarties. One in Koo8 City and one in Minneapolis. The one in KU was a 451 and MN was a 450.
Huh haven't seen one of those before before. After a quick search they appear to be one of the fancy, car turns off at a stop light, then turns on when you push the gas. At the very least it seems like a good feature for the smart.

10Year+ Supporting Member
Huh haven't seen one of those before before. After a quick search they appear to be one of the fancy, car turns off at a stop light, then turns on when you push the gas. At the very least it seems like a good feature for the smart.
The car you are speaking of is the MHD or MicroHybridDrive. It is not diesel, but a gasser with the stop/restart feature. We never got those in the US to the best of my knowledge.

Super Moderator
The car you are speaking of is the MHD or MicroHybridDrive. It is not diesel, but a gasser with the stop/restart feature. We never got those in the US to the best of my knowledge.
The mhd version did not come to North America, although way back when there was a report of a new 451 showing up at a US dealership with an "mhd" badge on the tailgate... :)

Registered
You could pick up a bricked ED Smart for cheap. The owners are so disgusted with them, they are ready to give them away so as not to look at them. I would like to see one converted to using maybe a motorcycle engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
You could pick up a bricked ED Smart for cheap. The owners are so disgusted with them, they are ready to give them away so as not to look at them. I would like to see one converted to using maybe a motorcycle engine.
Good thinking! I did want to try a Tesla style motor on all four wheels or one front and back, beef up or add more batteries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts