Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a #2 PC, which for the past year has been utilized exclusively for BOINC crunching. Following a2jack's lead, I decided I should put that box to work for my benefit, while it continues to crunch away.

I followed this excellent guide, Ultimate Server, Cutting Cords. It's a very detailed, step by step guide to setting up a multi-media (TV, Movies, Music) Server. And I do mean step-by-step. Awesome guide.

In the end, I decided to remove the Torrent features, even though I initially went for them. Giganews quickly started female dogging about the P2P load.

Setting up the server, with more than a dozen program installations, took several days ... with really nothing else to do. Almost every installation requires significant configuration settings, but follow the step-by-steps and even a novice can succeed. For a working person it could take a week.

Unless you're willing to go Torrent (I'm not) you'll have to pay for an NNTP account*, so it's not free. On the other hand, the scope of what's available is pretty impressive (Eureka!). Obscure TV episodes, movies, music. The web's your pleasure.

I have a WD TV Media player, which recognizes and plays most formats on my TV. You probably have some means of playing media files.

Not quite ready to cut the cord, but a giant step closer.

*I'm paying Giganews, plans range from $5 to $30/month, primarily dependent on your download requirements. There are lots of others.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is working well. The only thing I'd be missing from cable is the evening network news. I haven't yet divorced Comcast though. Since I could get a digital TV receiver setup, it could still be in my future. In fact, paying about $60/month for local broadcasts is appearing more ridiculous now. On the other hand, I don't see myself giving up cable internet, until a viable alternative surfaces.

The music portion of the guide I cited above is really of no interest to me and I've obliterated the components I'd installed. I've been on usenet for a couple decades and I don't need an 'automated' mp3 downloader. I'll just continue doing that the old fashioned way, with a usenet reader, I use Forte' Agent. But, for TV programs and movies, this is pretty darn nifty.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I made the mistake of purchasing a Roku3 unit about a year ago at WalMart. Seemed pretty simple to install and adding Netflix seemed reasonable to gain access to many movies, too. However, each time I use the Roku unit, it somehow has disconnected from the internet wireless on me or gives me some grief in doing what it is supposed to do. This often means that Netflix does not work, either. The peole in the tech department found that the Roku unit had the wrong picture to it that showed how to type in programming and such. I actually had to send in photos over the internet in order for them to find out that the keyboard shown on my unit was nothing like what they had in their program. In every storm the unit usually fails, so it is not all that often that I actually try to use it anymore. Netflix seemed to only have a ton of old movies or worthless ones to watch. Most of them were movies that certainly had no value to me in rewatching for the millionth time, anyway. Remember, this is just my own opinion only and someone else may dearly love Roku and what it provides. I get the message that my internet wifi may be down, when every computer in my home still works, except for that stupid Roku unit. Finding the little pin to reset the thing means remembering code keys and sittting and wairing as the thing once again starts up and actually works for a day or so before the whole thing turns off once again.

Me, if this is the future of watching tv to beat out what cable has to offer, then into the garbage the Roku3 unit goes. Most of the stuff it brings in is not free to begin with, so I have not been impressed with the little black box as to it doing anything positive for my television experience. I plan to cancel the Netflix monthhly payments and toss the Roku unit into a storage bin in the future. Such devices should be overly simple to install, operate and maintain, even for the tech-non-savy person. My experience with my Roku unit has not been any of that.

All the additonal tech items your discussing are probably enough of a challenge to install, bring up to snuff and maintain that many would simply not go that route. Me, I can't stand it at all when a local group of clouds obscure the antenna enough to knock out programming here, as it always seems to happen right when I am most interested in a program or some important news story. Grrrrrrr... Unfortunately for us, Dish stopped showing the very soaps that are my wife's favorites (Got to keep Mama happy) so she put us onto Direct TV, instead. I don't see a radical difference between the two and there are likely more programs on our tv's that I simply never watch than the few tried and true ones that I do watch. Yet we have to pay for all, regardless. :shrug: Me, I wish you could completely pick what you really like and pay only for that, but not have the other charged against you or forced onto you. Probably never going to happen like that though.

Any rate, for me, the exercise in properly hooking up or installing everything and maintaining it would be a turn off, as I am by no means a techy or tech-savy consumer. I can fully appreciate those who are though. Me, that little black Roku box begins to look more and more like that black, plastic "Mother from hell" of an air box unit that I cut out and tossed from my Smart Car's bowels. >:D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Coupe1942...Netflix is almost useless. The programing is either old, or made up of TV shows and movies that flopped. Roku is just as bad.

Go on line direct with your computer, and you can choose any program or movie anytime. All will be commercial free. Start out with PBS online and learn how it's done. Then go where you want. ( see my thread on chopping the cable right here on this forum)

The world is changing, tech is not going to go away. I'm old, but I try to keep up. I've found if I just keep working on a problem, even though at first it seems over my head, I will solve it and learn something new.

Give it a try. A2Jack

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
In June, Apple is expected to announce a new subscription internet-based TV plan, in conjunction with launching its very revised Apple TV product. About 25 of the most popular networking cable channels will be offered for an expected $30-$40 a month.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Such devices should be overly simple to install, operate and maintain, even for the tech-non-savy person.
I absolutely agree. They should have these devices refined to the point of being an appliance.
All the additonal tech items your discussing are probably enough of a challenge to install, bring up to snuff and maintain that many would simply not go that route.
It does take a bit of time and attention to details. Perhaps a little bug swatting ... usually because a detail or two wasn't implemented right the first time.
The guide I started out with is step-by-step simple.
The Ultimate Server
There are other guides to the same end online. But, I like the clarity of the author of that one. If all you want is movies and some TV serials (that's me), you can skip steps 5, 9 & 10. I also skipped the parts that pertained to making you media PC available as an internet server.

I have, and can recommend as a simple, reliable device for playback on any TV, one of the media players on the market. I use one of the WD TV Media players. It plays about any file format you can throw at it. I copy some files I'd like to watch to a USB thumb drive, plug it into the media player and it's good to go.

... and there are likely more programs on our tv's that I simply never watch than the few tried and true ones that I do watch. Yet we have to pay for all, regardless.
Yep, I have no interest in 90% of the channels on my Basic Basic Comcast service. But, if they let you pick only the ones you're interested in, they won't make enough money. Pity them.

As I said in the earlier post, the only thing I'd be missing out on now is the network (ABC,CBS, NBC) evening news if I cut the cable. And that could be remedied by picking them up from over-the-air broadcasts with the purchase of a digital antenna & receiver. So near, yet not there yet.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Just buy a digital antenna for local. Rent movies.

I've got Xfinity, for 3 years, special offer. Who knows, over a thousand channel. 3 boxes. Ones the DVR. Can record from any of them. Can voice control any of them from my iPad, and iPhone. Any place. Plus the faster internet. Telephone too we don't use it. Very spoiled. It's all internet controlled now.

We have Netflix, it's a joke. Need to dump them.

Google fiber is in our area too. Will try them next. You have to buy their equiptment.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The cable company's version of online TV is all you are going to get by subscribing to a service, any service. "Bundles" is what they thrive on. I doubt Apple will be much better.

The only plans in the works right now, require extra pay for extra channels.

For example: If you regularly watch the series that run on AMC, Stars, HBO, and the Euro channels, you will need an add on for each. Your monthly bill will again be in the order of $70+ a month. TV is not worth that kind of money.

The Dreaded Bundle Comes to Internet TV - The New Yorker

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday I called Comcast/xFinity. I inquired as to how much my bill would be reduced if I dropped the TV service altogether and kept my internet with them.

I was on the phone for about 45 minutes, talked with two different CSRs. In the end, they gave me a different offer than what I've had for years. I've had internet and Basic digital TV for around $130/month. The new deal leaves my not-much-used TV package as-is, and ups (we shall see) my internet to 75Mbps ... for around $89/month. My internet had been running (measured) around 30Mbps.

$40 per month less, and all I had to do was threaten to drop the TV.

Relating to this thread ... I'm downloading more movies and TV shows than I have time to watch. I've almost filled 2X 4TB USB HDDs. So, I really don't need Comcast's TV service.

Next step is to get over the air digital for the local news. Then call Comcast back again about the TV and tell them to stuff it, but keep the new internet deal I scored yesterday, LOL. I doubt they'll go along with that.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My brother cut-the-cord over a year go.

Amazon Fire TV, OTA local channels, TIVO (I probably would go with Tablo now - TIVO too expensive for what it offers), HULU (Showtime coming as an add-on in July 2015), Amazon Prime, and a trial subscription to Sling (I may get this too, not sure about the HBO add-on).

I am not a fan of Netflix (limited content) - they just sent me an email offering a 'new' trial subscription.

I stream Pandora in the smart via the stock radio AUX connector.

Ah, technology.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you think Netflix U.S.A. Is a waste of time check out the Canadian arm.
I have Netflix and OTA HD indoor antennas. I live in a city so I have around 30 stations I can pull in. However we hate commercials so much of our viewing is on Netflix .... but man limited selection is hardly the word. The nice thing is we stream a large volume from the web. Which brings up cost. Not sure what net charges are in the U.S., but I am paying $80 a month for my internet and haven't approached my bandwidth limit once, and I have a very quick service. My prior cable bill was $90 a month and I had virtually every channel available in Ontario. Do I miss cable, to be honest yes as I do not get my daily sports fix, but for just general watching, when you roll the flexibility of the net vs cable, no.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've finally taken another step forward. Motivated this evening by viewing my latest Comcast bill.

I've ordered an over the air digital HD antenna. I've actually been sitting on a receiver for several years in its unopened box. The same model is still selling on Amazon, for about half what I paid for mine.

So, between that and my NNTP setup (usenet), I should be finally ready to dump Comcast video. Delivery of the antenna is a week away.

I just wish I could do without cable internet. Or at least, that Comcast didn't have a monopoly in my area.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Cutting the cable was the best thing i ever did.
Intelligence and knowledge just skyrocket.
My God, it's been five years already.
i thought i would be looking back.
i ended up NEVER looking back.
TV is only for hospital patients.
TV is simply unwatchable now.
i feel like i've been paroled.

*You can tell who has unplugged in the way they communicate.
My mind is detuned from the mass mind programming matrix so much
that people who still haven't taken the red pill actually get offended by my clarity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cut the cord last year and couldn't be happier that I did. It's literally had no impact on what I watch, except that I now save a ton of money by not paying a crappy cable provider with poor service.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Well, today I joined the cable-be-damned club. Two weeks ago, I cut my mobile phone bill in half by switching to prepaid with another carrier – and service improved! So, armed with that victory, I called Time Warner today and got rid of the bundled garbage. Right now, it is a leap of faith. Net savings from cable alone is $60 a month, which I have now invested $12 a month in Hulu. Feeling good about my decision, and thanks to this thread for the encouragement!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Personally I feel the best cord-cutting bundle is:

HULU $7.99 option (the commercials are short, and at times entertaining, plus Hulu doesn't offer commercial free on every program due to agreements with the networks)

Amazon Video (Amazon Prime) $99 per year, offers some good shows and movies, plus Amazon shopping benefits

HDTV antenna for local OTA programming - AntennaPoint locator finds local stations and their corresponding channels in your area: http://www.antennapoint.com/
- Titan TV offers a channel program guide: http://www.titantv.com/

and a good streaming box - Amazon Fire TV is my fav

·
17,360 Posts
Heh, I never actually connected the cable. I use Google Fi off my Nexus 5X for a home/cell phone, use Comcast's (eww) 75+ mbps Internet, The Young Turks to get my news, and Netflix to fill in the gaps for anything Miss Tesla and I can't easily watch/download online. :D Total monthly cost is liiike $150 and I can't be happier.

My parents pay roughly $500+ a month for bundled Internet/Home Phone/TV + Netflix + Cell Phones. Yuck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts