Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share my recent misfire experience. I didn't mean for the post to be this long, so if you don't want the details, the bottom line is that cylinder one was misfiring (CEL was on). I replaced all 3 spark plugs with Denso 5353 Iridium OEM spec ones and the problem was solved.

Detailed version:

I woke up yesterday early in the morning and as I was driving to the gym (a 10min drive from my house) I could tell there was something wrong with my Smart (2008 Passion with 89k miles).

First symptom was the shift from 1st to 2nd gear. 2nd gear would engage but the car would feel a bit jerky and hesitant to gain power (even more so than usual). Then I noticed the same thing happening when accelerating from from a complete stop in 1st gear.

Anyways, I then drove back home and the same thing kept happening. It didn't FEEL like anything major; and at that point I was suspecting fuel quality or an actual misfiring.

On my way home with the tank about 1/3 full I stopped at the gas station and filled up (premium 93 octane gas as usual). My logic was that by filling up any bad or dirty gas already in the tank would be diluted and that would somewhat alleviate the problem in case it was fuel related. (It's worth noting that I usually get gas at Costco and regularly add Chevron Techron fuel additive to improve gas quality - so the thought of the problem being gas related didn't make much sense to me.)

The next time I drove the car was when I left my house a couple of hours later to go to work. As soon as I left my driveway the car felt completely weird: extremely jerky, underpowered, shaky engine and the feeling of what I judged as being constant misfires. I had 3 brand new Denso 5353 plugs at home and since I felt like I had no other choice but to take the car straight to a shop, I went back inside and grabbed them.

After stopping a couple of times on the way (to check oil and coolant level to make sure my engine wasn't going to overheat) I was able to get the car to a shop I had been to before. If I remember correctly their diagnostic test got codes P0300 (for cylinder misfire) and P0301 (misfire on cylinder 1). After replacing the plugs with the new ones the problem was fixed. I bought the car back in February with 84k miles - so I'm not sure whether the plugs had ever been replaced.

I hope this can be helpful to anyone here who might experience similar issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Passion. 56,000 miles. Problem started with rough idle. Then Engine Light. Then Flashing Engine Light and Safe Mode. Scan: Misfire #2 .

Two shops later, No true diagnoses, Just replace engine for $5000. Will NOT use MB here. Long Story. Idiots. Had a friend pull head, burnt exhaust valve ($175, $75 machine). Passes both Compression and Leak Down. I Felt flow was restricted in exhaust, so he cut hole in muffler, runs better (Sound was different, loud, then when new, I believe the exhaust/muffler created the problem). The engine light comes on, but will clear. Plugs have been cleaned and swapped, but not replace. Coil on Plug swapped. Injectors checked and work. Always codes Misfire #2 .

Problem: Stays in Safe Mode, will not get over 3000 RPM.
Question: Is there a 'reset' for the ECM ?

This was a great car. Till no one knew how to fix it. Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
There are probably codes that won't show up on a regular scanner. It might need to be hooked up to a more sophisticated scanner, or a dealer's STARR system to get the whole picture.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just wanted to share my recent misfire experience. I didn't mean for the post to be this long, so if you don't want the details, the bottom line is that cylinder one was misfiring (CEL was on). I replaced all 3 spark plugs with Denso 5353 Iridium OEM spec ones and the problem was solved.

Detailed version:

I woke up yesterday early in the morning and as I was driving to the gym (a 10min drive from my house) I could tell there was something wrong with my Smart (2008 Passion with 89k miles).

First symptom was the shift from 1st to 2nd gear. 2nd gear would engage but the car would feel a bit jerky and hesitant to gain power (even more so than usual). Then I noticed the same thing happening when accelerating from from a complete stop in 1st gear.

Anyways, I then drove back home and the same thing kept happening. It didn't FEEL like anything major; and at that point I was suspecting fuel quality or an actual misfiring.

On my way home with the tank about 1/3 full I stopped at the gas station and filled up (premium 93 octane gas as usual). My logic was that by filling up any bad or dirty gas already in the tank would be diluted and that would somewhat alleviate the problem in case it was fuel related. (It's worth noting that I usually get gas at Costco and regularly add Chevron Techron fuel additive to improve gas quality - so the thought of the problem being gas related didn't make much sense to me.)

The next time I drove the car was when I left my house a couple of hours later to go to work. As soon as I left my driveway the car felt completely weird: extremely jerky, underpowered, shaky engine and the feeling of what I judged as being constant misfires. I had 3 brand new Denso 5353 plugs at home and since I felt like I had no other choice but to take the car straight to a shop, I went back inside and grabbed them.

After stopping a couple of times on the way (to check oil and coolant level to make sure my engine wasn't going to overheat) I was able to get the car to a shop I had been to before. If I remember correctly their diagnostic test got codes P0300 (for cylinder misfire) and P0301 (misfire on cylinder 1). After replacing the plugs with the new ones the problem was fixed. I bought the car back in February with 84k miles - so I'm not sure whether the plugs had ever been replaced.

I service my Smart Roadster, changing sparks which are 6, fuel filter, air filter and oil filter , same day after serving, I have a engine light on and then mechanics by checking codes ?cylinder 1 misfire? appears on a computer ... don?t know what is the reasons and what would help !!! Anyone knows ?

·
Registered
62 Posts

Detailed version:

I am very very happy for you, the cause was simple, in my case after I changed the sparks which was 6 (Bosch) the Cylinder 1 misfire appears!!! I really like the car and don?t want to have this kind of problem that?s why after I bought the Smart Roadster which is about 3 weeks ago I decided to change and service it even if it was done or not, spending about £200, on it. The issue appears, it is really painful

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just a thought, I have seen bad intake gaskets cause a cylinder misfire. I have not done one on a smart, but it’s typically not too expensive or difficult.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just a thought, I have seen bad intake gaskets cause a cylinder misfire. I have not done one on a smart, but it?s typically not too expensive or difficult.
Tomorrow early in the morning I?m going to take Roadster to the local garage who service it and after their service the code appears, honestly, I hope they can sort it out otherwise I will be so angry with them. I will suggest them about the gasket, i think there are some reason for this issue , well I?m not very familiar with engine but after I bought this Roadster I like to know more , thanks for your advice mate

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I would remove the spark plugs from #1 cylinder and inspect them for cracks or a closed sparkplug electrode gap due to dropping the spark plug. Also, would be a good idea to check compression while the spark plugs are removed.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The OP has a 451, 3 spark plugs. The roadster owner should stop replying to 451 threads with respect to their 452. Different cars, different engines.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I believe he said he replaced 6 plugs...Could be one of the coils got damaged when it was removed?? just a thought.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would remove the spark plugs from #1 cylinder and inspect them for cracks or a closed sparkplug electrode gap due to dropping the spark plug. Also, would be a good idea to check compression while the spark plugs are removed.
Thanks mate, well I wish I was next to the garage when he was about checking to check compression . He did changed the spark plug , which it was damaged when he was trying to replace Them with new spark, now the issue is solve. But I wish I had a chance to check them by myself. They don?t really care. They only care about money money And money

·
Registered
62 Posts
The OP has a 451, 3 spark plugs. The roadster owner should stop replying to 451 threads with respect to their 452. Different cars, different engines.
First of all, the issue it?s not only about 451 or 452 or whatever. It would happens to any type of 450. So no need to be defensive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That?s a very good idea mate

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad you got it fixed up.
Thanks mate, I was worried, it was the garage mistake when they were trying to change sparks to new one. By the way they charge me £20, which I was ok with that. I just want the issue disappear. That?s all. So know most of us knowing that the Cylinder #1 misfire is cause of what. Good luck everyone

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
On my 2nd smart, I had a cyl 1 misfire off and on for about a year, but only on colder days. I finally got the error steady and doing a compression check, found cylinder 1 at about 65psi, the others were up around 130 so I guessed it to be a valve leaking. Oil in the cylinder didn't change anything so I sold the car cheap and found another one. Car had around 165,000 miles on it.

Glad yours wasn't as serious as mine was.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts