Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a D ring in the rear right part of the cargo area in the back. On the left side there's a plastic plug. I wanted to have a matching D ring for the left side but it was impossible for the dealer to find it on their parts system. I wanted to use 2 D rings to attach the cargo net to and then install the flimsy 2 tiny D rings along the front. Any ideas what the part number is or if anyone has done this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
MISSING rear shelf "d-ring" for rear cargo net installation

well. here is the part number:
4508140014 Cost $38.75 (not a typo!) Min. 2 weeks order time. = (1 month in reality)

I returned the REAR LUGGAGE NET and cargo cover (comes in the kit) to the Smart dealer in San Diego since here is what I was looking at:
$254.89 part# A-451-860-01-74 Rear cargo net
$38.75 for the missing ring (see above. all the 451's come w/ONE ring only!)
$190.00 Labor for installing (drilling the holes in the top headliner.) =

$486.64 OUCH!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
The ring on the right is for a child safty seat, the plug on the left (other) side is for the folks in the UK I belive...
karl
my cargo net, the net on the floor does not use that D ring

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
ive already got the other d ring, and at this time i dont see the benifit of either 1, but at least it evened things out back there. you'll need a pair of matching metric bolts and another spacer. i bought the d ring frpm paul at rock and it was less than 10 if i remember.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MISSING D-ring continued:

According to the installation instructions, the combo rear cover and rear cargo net requires the fastening to a D-ring on each side of the rear parcel shelf in order to keep it secured evenly on each side. Otherwise, only one side would be fastened.

The 451 only comes with one from the factory, (behind the passenger seat) which is required for a baby seat if you need to use one-

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
well. here is the part number:
4508140014 Cost $38.75 (not a typo!) Min. 2 weeks order time. = (1 month in reality)

I returned the REAR LUGGAGE NET and cargo cover (comes in the kit) to the Smart dealer in San Diego since here is what I was looking at:
$254.89 part# A-451-860-01-74 Rear cargo net
$38.75 for the missing ring (see above. all the 451's come w/ONE ring only!)
$190.00 Labor for installing (drilling the holes in the top headliner.) =

$486.64 OUCH!
Are we talking about this?:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used my D-ring to attach a ground strap for my subwoofer install. I moved it from the right side to the left because the sub is behind the driver's seat. D-ring itself is still functional. The ground is attached with a lug held down by the bolt.

I have zero expectation of having to put a kiddie seat in the smart, but just for symmetry I picked up another D-ring/spacer/bolt from Paul at smart center Round Rock.

Sigh ... the D-rings themselves are available individually. But for the spacer and bolt I had to buy a complete set of two D-rings, two spacers, 2 bolts. Guess I'll put the other one into my GF's car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I purchased this net kit too. It comes with 4 small "D" rings and metric fasteners that attached to the engine cover as shown in the above photo. It came in a sealed plastic bag in the net package, which could not be seen until I opened the package at the parts counter. (The first package the counter person pulled was opened, and didn't have the fastener kit!) It's a great buy for less than $40. I installed it in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
D-ring- YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE WRONG THING-

GUYS, the rear cargo net and cargo cover is the net that is secured from the TOP headliner to the cargo shelf. The rear cargo cover is the retractable cover to hide things from people peering into the rear window. this COMBINATION kit is part # A-451-860-01-74. LIST is $236.55.

NOTE: The D-ring what the earlier post was referring to is the silver/aluminum ring that your photo shows behind the driver's seat!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. The small black d-rings it came with were tiny and I want to minimize any drilling so I figured why not use the large sturdy d-rings from the back. I still used the small d-rings for the front.

So what's the verdict, is it going to cost me $38.75 or is there a less expensive source for the D-ring?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yes. The small black d-rings it came with were tiny and I want to minimize any drilling so I figured why not use the large sturdy d-rings from the back. I still used the small d-rings for the front
This is exactly what I did. I've been using it for 3 months now, it works wonders.

To avoid confusion, suggest you call the large D rings "forwardmost" and the small ones that came with the cargo net "rearmost."

Now, the issue of the forwardmost silver rings vs. the forwardmost black rings. If I recall correctly, the car came with one SILVER ring. However, either my cargo net (as per your picture) or my full-height divider safety net (as per the picture below) came with two big BLACK D rings. So I took out the one SILVER and installed the two large BLACK D rings forwardmost and the two small rearmost. Looks symmetrical now!

·
Registered
31 Posts
that explains it-

The kit or box that I got from the dealer had been opened. That is why the 2 black D-rings that you mentioned in the last post - were missing from the box that I got.

Must be a common problem since the original posting said he was looking for the other D-ring as well on his car and was trying to order it from the dealer.

I eventually gave up on the cargo net and carog cover, due to the $500 cost (parts & labor) but it look's great on the pic. Think I'll save my $ for an extended warranty instead-:mad:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yes, I went back to the smart and checked.

The two large black D rings came with the full-height safety cargo divider, because these anchor the divider. I also use them as forwardmost attach points for the little flat net (to avoid 2 extra holes in the forwardmost area).

·
Banned
513 Posts
"So I took out the one SILVER and installed the two large BLACK D rings forwardmost and the two small rearmost. Looks symmetrical now!"

Have the full-height divider for my 2008 cabriolet that came with 2 huge d-rings and spacers. I tried to find the answer to my dilemma, but couldn't (I'm a newbie here). Someone posted to remove the hole cover behind the driver's seat. I tried to get it out and it is securely attached and all I did was crack most of the plastic flange off. Looks like some sort of small mechanism with a tiny horizontal spring attached to the cover. How do I get this thing off? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
The hole cover behind the drivers seat is a plastic piece commonly called a christmas tree. if the top breaks off with the insert still in the threaded opening, simply push it all the way through and it will fall out the bottom. That is what I did with mine when I installed my cargo net.

·
Banned
936 Posts
old resurected thread. I have/had an extra D-ring at home. purchased one for the left side and it came as a "pair" of them, so I ended up with an extra one.

anyone's wecome to it......'if' I CAN FIND IT! :p

·
Banned
513 Posts
The hole cover behind the drivers seat is a plastic piece commonly called a christmas tree. if the top breaks off with the insert still in the threaded opening, simply push it all the way through and it will fall out the bottom. That is what I did with mine when I installed my cargo net.
Thanks. I'll give it a try as soon as it warms up a little....probably in March ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts