Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,891 Posts

The Greek court determined that "an informed buyer would not confuse the Noble with the Smart Fortwo." They also stated that because the two vehicles offer different technical specifications, any exterior styling similarities are irrelevant and almost inevitable because they're both mini-cars.
Not like the uninformed over here who think we drive TaTa Nano's

While many of us are likely to label the court's decision as ludicrous, it follows similar legal precedents set in other European court battles against an onslaught of Chinese clones.
Thankfully, many of the Chinese copies that eventually reach European markets typically fare poorly as consumers balk at their horrid questionable safety, quality and dismal reliability

Yeah US Safey regulations. Those cars become Low Speed Vehicles here and no one wan't them.

I can cirtainly see Daimlers problem with them. If someone get in an accident in one suddenly it's all over the place how unsafe it is because we all know the press will make sure thay know if its a smart or not.

Just remember folks, when the photos come in of one of these smashed, it has 4 lugs on the wheels and the smart has 3. That may be the only way to tell after it's crumpled into a small ball

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
any exterior styling similarities are irrelevant and almost inevitable because they're both mini-cars
So a giant vehicle that looks almost exactly like a Hummer would look like one because they're both giganto vehicles?

It's not about confusion, it's about copying.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
this is stupid that the court cannot see this. i mean?! I heard on this same site that BYD was going to copy the Porsche Cayenne, if they do then it's gonna be pretty serious between Porsche and shuan. same shuan company copied the bimmer x3 and i think BMW lost the case.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The real issue has to be that the "informed buyer" isn't affected by the copy; it's the uninformed populace who doesn't know the difference and starts associating the vehicles as the same - those are the problems. One doesn't become an informed buyer without initially being uninformed and pursuing the information because they like what they see (which may not be the case if they frequently see the knockoffs).

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The Noble's is a bigger car. Engine is in the front, and it has a rear seat. A tin can with no safety in mind. 4 lug wheels. They just painted a silver/black stripe down the side. Front wheel drive. The inside looks like a old 450 Smart. Saw them in China. The IQ looks like a Smart from a distance too.

Here's early version of the Noble car. Pretty close in styling

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2007/08/china-smart.jpg

·
Registered
763 Posts
I guess you have to trademark a prominent design element. Take the black or silver "swoop" and make it part of your logo or identity. Instead, Smart used the C> rather than an element of the car. I looked at Smart gear at the dealer today and it's almost all the C> not the silhouette of the car - which is the logo I like.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Soviets routinely engaged in reverse-engineering immediately after WWII. To some extent, the Russians still do.
I was watching an episode from Top Gear from 2004 and during the news segment they said that VW execs believed that the KGB were hacking their computer systems, getting confidential technical info on new cars under development and then selling the info. Two years later, VW would scan the new models from their competitors and guess who bought the info.

alan

·
Registered
560 Posts
Heck, I own one of them russian reverse-engineered jobs !!

My Ural Gear Up is CONSTANTLY confused with an early BMW. I bought it brand new in 2005 and I had a guy TELL me it was BMW because he "knows bikes" and "has been riding longer than I've been alive". When I insisted that it was Russian, he only muttered, "you don't know what you're talking about". :D

Even when his wife said, "Honey, he bought it brand new, he should know who made it !" The dude said, "No sweetie, that's where you're wrong."

Amazing.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Heck, I own one of them russian reverse-engineered jobs !!

My Ural Gear Up ...
Dang, just Thursday evening I came across a compact VHS tape of a short trip I once took from El Puerto de Santa Maria around to Cádiz and back in a Ural sidecar (I was in the chair) It was a little hair-raising, with the old "piloto" half-lit and the foot well full of empty Cruzcampo cans. Maybe I had a few too many vinos y tapas myself for accepting the offer.

We have a Ural dealer here in the Williamsburg area, but I haven't gone by to see them. I have a great fondness for sidehacks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts