Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's been a little rainy the past few days, but nothing super bad. The cabin has been relatively dry, and I have those nice thick rubber mats from smart in both passenger foot wells. (Needed up here, what with the snow and all.)

Today I went to lift the rug up to check on the battery, and install a second 12 port in the glove box, same as my 2008 ICE. The mat was bone dry, as was the carpet. But after lifting the carpet, I found that under it is a squishy foam mat (attached to the carpet). The mat and the solid metal floor under it were both quite wet!

This is not the black styrofoam block that holds the inflator and eye hook. This is a white gel-like foam, like soft underpadding in home carpeting. I get why it's there, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be soaking wet.

Can a couple other ED owners check theirs and see if this is a model issue? I left my carpet pulled up in hopes that it will dry out. But this seems like a bad thing over all, to have water trapped against the bottom of the car like that.

·
17,349 Posts
This was an issue with some of the 2008 ICE models as well. I recommend taking it to the dealer. Leak could be from anywhere, sadly. :(

Check around the 12v battery for any clogged or loose connections.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Leaky front window. Water finding its way though the fire wall. Door seals. The dealer needs to do a smoke test inside the vehicle, to find the leak.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Could be a clogged A/C drain, could be a leak at the hatch even (this does allow water to get to the front, eventually). Don't let it stay wet!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just checked our ED. The white foam under the floor mat on the passenger side is bone dry.

Our 05 smart had a wet mat once in 9 years. We likely left the window open a crack during a rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts