Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be cognizant of said vehicle dropping. I was committed since the sauce was dumped so I was forced to get the ridiculously placed can and filter out. It says to torque so I used Polish torque on it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just changed the oil right before 50k on Minimus. I followed your advice and USED ramps! I have pictures to follow. 4qts 0W-20 Citgo Full Syn. Wiz filter. Some 80s music for mulletude purposes. I have to reset the wrenches for another 10k... ...yay me! The socket is 1 1\16". Also notice the can says drain with an arrow. Screw out can until drain hole is visible in the treads. New filter pushes into a decent hole. Put on new o ring tighten the can and away you go!

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally forgot about the 3\8" square socket I ground down to fit in the drain plug. 1\4" drive to 3\8" adapter ground down. All in all the whole project was 45min tops (you wait that long just to get into a stealership!) More pix.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Be cognizant of said vehicle dropping. I was committed since the sauce was dumped so I was forced to get the ridiculously placed can and filter out. It says to torque so I used Polish torque on it.
Gutentight is German (if it exists!) lol

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It brings me joy to do my own oil change. I can pick the sauce and the filter... ...all for under $40! (20 for the filter with military discount and $2.75 x 4 with a Citgo rebate!)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The oil filter can be difficult to get out of the 453, you really need an oil filter removal tool (strap wrench).

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is not that difficult if you have the right tools. Nice to have if you're planning on doing your own oil changes.
  • 8mm square drive for the drain plug
  • 27mm socket for the filter cap

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
It is not that difficult if you have the right tools. Nice to have if you're planning on doing your own oil changes.
  • 8mm square drive for the drain plug
  • 27mm socket for the filter cap
The filter cap is located in an “unfriendly” location compared to the 451 filter. Guess a strap wrench might work but why not buy the correct 27mm - as stated - socket to more easily remove the filter cap? My concern is the cap is plastic and can easily be buggered up. Wish it was metal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts