Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Published on Aug 15, 2017

May 27, 2016 - Palm Beach County, Florida --- The crash that investigators say happened at 104 mph led to the arrest of a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy and left another man with serious injuries.

https://youtu.be/I4LnBu-sKsA

Deputy was going 104 mph in the 50 mph zone.

PBSO deputy charged with reckless driving; went twice speed limit

Prior to this incident, Deputy was involved in at least six crashes in his patrol car resulting in tens of thousands of dollars in damages, but was usually just given a written reprimand, according to sheriff’s Internal Affairs records obtained by The Palm Beach Post.

Deputy awaiting trial in 100-mph crash on road despite reprimands

Attachments

·
17,356 Posts
Dashcams aren't great at capturing speed. Looks like the closing speed was closer to something like 60+ mph as the officer did slam the brakes before hitting the car.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I was wondering what the heck is a "Dash Cam Deputy"! Definitely worked on me!

I guess it should have been Dash Cam: Deputy....

·
Registered
883 Posts
Dash Cam Deputy - great name for an actual dash camera product. Probably would sell big in Russia.

Watched the video. It appears the smart car driver did not signal the lane change.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

·
Registered
912 Posts
That wasn't 104 mph (= 170 km/h) at any point in the video. 104 km/h is more believable. It's probably 50% above whatever the flow of traffic is, and if that was 70 - 80 km/h as would be typical on a road like that, the cop's speed is probably closer to 120 km/h (about 75 mph). But whatever the case ... It takes two to tango.

1. Yes, the cop was going faster than the flow of traffic and therefore faster than what other drivers are expecting to see. But ...
2. The left turn by the smart driver wasn't very smart, on multiple counts. Firstly, when making a turn like that onto a multi-lane roadway, you are supposed to turn into the nearest lane of the roadway that you are turning onto (and this would have put the smart directly in the path of the oncoming cop). This error is VERY common, though - common enough that good drivers anticipate other drivers turning into the wrong lane. But secondly, after completing the turn into the wrong (second) lane, if we accept that that's the lane the driver intended to turn into, the driver wandered back to the left. Furthermore, that was done quite evidently with no mirror checking, no signaling other drivers of their intentions. BUT ...
3. The cop failed to take an appropriate avoidance action. This could have been avoided by steering to the remaining open space on the left side of the smart. There wasn't much time between it becoming apparent that the smart was wandering aimlessly between lanes and the moment of impact ... but the cop veered to the right; had the cop veered to the left by the same amount, the impact probably would have been avoided.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I was rear ended in similar fashion, at similar speeds, by a Chevy Tahoe with similar grille guard. The rear end of the smart is TOUGH. I'm confident I was traveling at a faster speed than that smart, but that modified Tahoe may have been faster than 104 too, and it had bull bars up front. Can you say OUCH? The smart car is a really strong car though.

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
Looked like the smart car was a bit out of the lane, but driving that fast the cop should have at least had some lights on, and it looked like he did swerve a bit into the smart car.

Pretty easy to second guess after everything is done and over with. Hard to tell what was going on in his mind at the speed it happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts