Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone know if theres a dash cover for the smart? I love the car but the fabric on the dash won't last long. Sun and window cleaner mist will eat it up. So I would like to have a cover. Can anyone help?
Thanks.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I'd like to get a dashmat too so I made an inquiry to one of the major dahmat manufactures. Should have an answer tomorrow.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Why not. It should last just like any other dash when properly maintained.
Mine already has a mark on it. It may be the fabric is slightly stretched from when I bumped it with the vacuum hose. I'll be getting dash mats for mine. As I said before, I'll report back here tomorrow once I get an answer from the company.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Please make sure . . .

Dose anyone know if theres a dash cover for the smart? I love the car but the fabric on the dash won't last long. Sun and window cleaner mist will eat it up. So I would like to have a cover. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
Please make sure if you find one that the passenger airbag is able to deploy. It's mounted on the top of the dash and deploys thru the dash covering.

My Murano has the passenger airbag mounted on the lower dash. The DashMate for it allows deployment by having the dash cover flap up and out of the way.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
OK Kids - heres what info I have.

First, I had emailed DASHMAT but got no reply so then I called them. Their answer was, oh, we're a one of the larger Dashmat companies so I'd expect it to be out in about 3 to 4 month so you can try to see if we have it then. ::confused:

Next try. The "other" BIG Dashmat company - COVERKING (clickable link)-. They also don't have anything available for the Smart BUT here is promising info....when I spoke to the person at Coverking he said they "almost" go one into production but the owner of the car backed out at the last moment. I asked if that was all that they were lacking was a template car and he said, "yes". I asked if I could get someone to volunteer their car would they be in production soon, once again, "yes".

IF YOU LIVE IN ANAHEIM, CA AND WANT TO POSSIBLY GET SOME FREE STUFF FOR YOUR CAR CALL COVERKING at
(800) COVERKING or (714) 850-0303.

Covercraft not only makes Dashmats but they also make seat covers (hint, mention them too!), window sun shades (once again - maybe more free stuff!) and car covers.

About 23 years ago I had an auto parts store with my father and the manufactures used to give me prototype parts (aka beta testing:p) for me to run on my cars. Always free stuff for giving them my feedback or letting them use my cars to try out their product - me driving of course. This may be the same, get in touch with the company and see what arrangement can be made - chances are you can get plenty of FREE stuff and finally get the rest of us our much needed product into production.:D

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
ANAHEIM Owners PLEASE read.

OK, so I really want a Dashmat but I'm not so handy with a sewing machine though I do own a commercial unit. SO I called a company today, Covercraft, that is located in Anaheim and they say if they can get a car they can start manufacturing Dashmats. Only problem is I can't get them my car since I'm in Florida. This company makes a lot of other neat stuff, seat covers etc so this is a chance to "maybe" get a good bit of free stuff. You'll have to get in touch with them for specifics to see what free stuff they will give you - I can vouch for them as they've been in business for a long time and I used to sell their stuff in my auto parts store.

There's more info on this thread on DashMats.

Thanks.
Bum-Bling-B:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, I called them. They are supposed to call back tomorrow to setup an appointment. I'll let you know more when I set something up.

AF6FB / Michael

·
Registered
48 Posts
I called and offered my vehicle. They mentioned having several products to fit. I'll post more after they schedule a time for me to come to their shop.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Ok, I called them. They are supposed to call back tomorrow to setup an appointment. I'll let you know more when I set something up.

AF6FB / Michael
Sweet and Thanks! Let us know what they fess up for FREE to you since they are using your car as the template. I'd be interested in their set covers too if they can do Wet Okole quality on a poor mans budget. :D They seem to carry a variety of specialized items.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's not a dash cover, but I got a sunscreen that works real well. Found it on Amazon.com - $33.95. Had it two days after I ordered it! This may be an alternative if the dash cover is a ways out for manufacturing.
SMART FORTWO COUPE/CONVERTIBLE 2008 Heatshield Custom-fit sunshade

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an appointment Thursday morning. I'll post back with the different items they try, maybe pictures too.

Later gang...

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
EXCELLENT! Can't wait for them to get that dash mat into production since in less than two months I screwed up my dash.

Let us know what they end up giving you for free. I'm really curious to see if they are a cheap company. All my dealings with them in the past they weren't.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great! Dash mats in CA!

A dash mat is the first accessory I buy for my new cars. Here in CA, it's almost manditory.

I protects the dash from our Bright SoCA sun, and cuts down on glare.

Now if I ever get my car...

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's not a dash cover, but I got a sunscreen that works real well. Found it on Amazon.com - $33.95. Had it two days after I ordered it! This may be an alternative if the dash cover is a ways out for manufacturing.
SMART FORTWO COUPE/CONVERTIBLE 2008 Heatshield Custom-fit sunshade
thats really nice!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Trip to CoverKing

Sorry for the delay in posting, I went to CoverKing and let them try some accessories on my car. The people were really nice and the products look great.

Seat Covers. They first tried on a set of seat covers. They look really good, especially considering is was the first attempt. They noted a few changes, but I was very happy with the results. You'll notice that they have cutouts for the side airbags and the seat belt retainer. They also add a pouch to the back of the seat.

Next was the sun shade. It took a couple of tries, and this picture isn't actually of the final version. But you can see that it has a foil surface and is very reflective. The back is some kind of a closed-cell foam. When removing the shade, you just roll it up, very nice.

Then the car cover. Get this, they took dimensions for the cover at a car show. This was the first time they were able to try it on a car. I think they did extremely well. The mirror pockets were a little off and the back is a little tight. Oh, and there wasn't a hole for the antenna. But, it looks perty good. I was impressed. They are going to make some adjustments and give it another fit.

And, finally, the dash mat. The part that started this conversation. Well, they weren't as far along as others may have believed. In fact, what they did was make a pattern. These pictures show the pattern. You can also see that they made a pattern of the pockets around the steering column and across the ledge below the stereo/glovebox.

They are going to work up the dash cover and changes to the cover and we'll get together again. I expect it to take a couple of weeks before I hear from them.

I'll keep the group posted.

AF6FB / Michael

1 - 20 of 21 Posts