Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 451 used about two months ago. Ever since I have had it there is a plastic creak/rattle noise coming from the dashboard. It used to present itself only when driving on less than smooth roads but now it makes the noise all the time.

I cannot locate exactly where its coming from as I drive by myself, it doesn't bother me that much and from what I have read searching google its not uncommon with Smart cars.

I just turn my Radio on to distract me from the noise. Anybody else have a similar issue?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I had my car serviced at the main Smart dealer and after that the main dashboard creak/rattle disappeared. Then a few weeks later another one formed and I tracked this down to the double barrel foot pump I had in the boot area which emitting a noise over every bump in the road. I sat it on top of my electronic tyre inflator and the noise went away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I spoke too soon, the dashboard rattle noise has returned. Never mind its not that bad and I had gotten used to it, just a shame it teased me by disappearing for a month or two after the service.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Could a combination of things. Something might be loose. There might be an object rattling up against something. A prior owner could have removed an interior trim component and replaced it slightly out of wack, or with a missing screw, or could have dropped an object that is rattling up against something. Or could be coins in your cupholder, or in your dash storage areas.

Start touching, holding, applying pressure to various interior trim pieces to see if you can temporarily eliminate, or change the pitch of, the rattle. If for example, you're touching your a/c vent and the rattle disappears while you do it, there's the solution to your issue. Be gentle though.

If it really bothers you (like a 8, 9, or 10 on a scale of 10) try buying a mechanics stethoscope if you are struggling to isolate the location of the rattle. I own one that I never use, but it might give you that extra hearing ability you'll need to track the noise down so you can isolate it. :nerd:

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Pure developed a rattley noise while driving on back country roads. Really bugged the heck out of me until I discovered the rattle coming from a new garage door remote clipped on the sun visor. Some creative taping and all in quiet again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2008 has never had this problem. Good luck with finding the source.
Thanks its good to know its not normal. I should have known this as it went away for awhile. Don't think I will ever get to the bottom of this so am just going to have to put up with it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Similar NEW issue. Yesterday, I started getting a loud KNOCKING in my 2015 Brabus dash. It sounds like it's somewhere under the gauges and behind the a/c vents. It sounds like someone taking a pen and hitting it against a hard surface. The knock will go on 10-12 times or so, then stop. HELP?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts