Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want a Dash cam..set it and forget it....

What are you using...and post some pictures in the smart for us to see
I have read in other posts that there are some of you that are using these and wanted one post for all to look up and get info from

want pros and cons too.....

·
Registered
646 Posts
The one I use is not available anymore on ebay, but I ordered it from China, took 3 weeks, worked well. On a 105 degree day, the mount broke off.I contacted the seller and for 6 bucks they replaced the suction cup mount and it has been working well for a year now. Cost me $66.

If you get one, it makes sense to buy one of the ones that have a view out the rear as well as the front. Otherwise the dashcam won't be of any help if you are rear-ended.

I consider the under-$100-dashcams to be throwaway units that will probably last a year or two. Most of them are CCC (cheap chinese crap) but they work, just have a limited lifespan. If you want a high quality cam like the cops use in their cruisers, it will set you back between $300 and $500, and then you also run the risk of theft.

In Russia, if you don't have a dash cam you can't get insurance. Search for"russian dash cam" on youtube and prepare to be amazed at some serious disasters.

One other thing that I haven't checked; is the 12v outlet in our cars always on or does it shut off when you shut the car off? My Sequoia only has power when the car is on, and my dashcam has an "auto-power on" setting so that when I turn on the key, I don't have to do anything else. When I shut the car off, the cam shuts off.

I have also found the the "motion-sensor" feature and the "infra-red illumination" features to be pretty useless. I just use the cam for documenting what is going on while driving.

I do not keep audio recording on, have never seen the purpose of listening to the sound, and it just takes up bigger file space, so I shut audio recording off.

·
17,360 Posts
I use an old iPhone 4 and a DIY window mount.

And since it's really just a smartphone, I installed some cool driving related apps like a timelapse app, an app that uses the accelerometers and such to give you somewhat accurate telemetry, and by using Wifi, tethering to my iPhone 5 for GPS.

And total, it was much less than $100...the benefits of buying a trashed phone on eBay and knowing how to fix it...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'll review mine and report back. There are plenty to choose from but main things are:

1-) 720P is enough already
2-) Night vision
3-) Auto Recording when turn on
4-) up to 32GB memory micro sd card
5-) Back and front Recording
6-) 2" display
7-) Simultaneously charging

·
Registered
115 Posts
As I posted in another thread I use the Mini 801. You can get it on Amazon.
Techmoan - Techmoan - The Mini 0801 - Tiny 1080p GPS Car Camera with an LCD*Screen

Last year I easily saved $6,000 by having a dash cam. In my SLK, while stopped in traffic, the side airbag went off for no reason. I was listening to Whitney Houston and maybe the car didn't like it.

At first Mercedes Benz USA wouldn't believe that I didn't hit something to cause it to open. They even sent "incriminating" photos of the underside of the car showing scrapes. Well the car is almost 9 years old and 4.4" off the ground, there are going to be scrapes.

I replied to the dealer with the video. The dash cam video convinced them to fly someone out from NJ to look at the car. I agreed not to sue and they agreed to fix it for no charge, total came out a little over $5,800 for parts and labor.

They had to completely remove the interior, replace the airbag that went off, replace the seat frame (since there integrated) and replace both sensors that are built onto the car chassis, right next to the transmission tunnel.

The cam I have in the SLK is a Itronics ITB-100HD, about $160.

Happens at about 25 seconds. Near the end, you can also hear the call automatically calling the police using Teleaid, even though I didn't have a subscription. I thought that was a nifty feature.

·
Registered
646 Posts
"Night Vision" is a tricky thing. It usually means that the infra-red lights in the camera will activate, but they only work for a few feet in front of the car, if I remember correctly.

I never activate it, as at night it basically picks up the headlights/tail lights of other vehicles more clearly if it is not set to night vision. Picture what headlights look like if you have night vision goggles on; WAY too much incoming light.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is mine. I don't know why it came with gray adhesive, but I will probably take it off and get black adhesive.

Without flash:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Got one of the cheap Chinese ones... works well. You have to hook up the cam to your 12v source. You will also have to buy a battery(it might come with the cam) but that won't matter about your day to day recording.
You'll need a chip to put in it.....32 gig or even 64 will give you about a month of videos. Download 'em into your puter and then delete if nothing interesting....downside is you've got a cable dangling down to your 12v outlet. I've seen fancy take down your windshield guard hiding the cable guides...but you may have to settle for looking like a geek. It actually works pretty well. I've gotten a couple of "whyn'hell you got a camera recording "everything" comments. but as they say in Russia, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
491 Posts
"Night Vision" is a tricky thing. It usually means that the infra-red lights in the camera will activate, but they only work for a few feet in front of the car, if I remember correctly.

I never activate it, as at night it basically picks up the headlights/tail lights of other vehicles more clearly if it is not set to night vision. Picture what headlights look like if you have night vision goggles on; WAY too much incoming light.
I have a problem with the rear camera. It records in a mirrored mode. License plate numbers are reversed on the video. Video is recorded the opposite. Left is right and right is left. I can't find in the camera settings anything that will fix this. Any ideas other than reverse the video with computer software? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Got one of the cheap Chinese ones... works well. You have to hook up the cam to your 12v source. You will also have to buy a battery(it might come with the cam) but that won't matter about your day to day recording.
You'll need a chip to put in it.....32 gig or even 64 will give you about a month of videos. Download 'em into your puter and then delete if nothing interesting....downside is you've got a cable dangling down to your 12v outlet. I've seen fancy take down your windshield guard hiding the cable guides...but you may have to settle for looking like a geek. It actually works pretty well. I've gotten a couple of "whyn'hell you got a camera recording "everything" comments. but as they say in Russia, better safe than sorry.

~My CarCam Setting~
2.7 inch TFT LCD 16:9
FULL HD 1920*1080P high definition quality.
Video format MOV, H.264 codec
My 16 gig micro SD = 89 minutes record time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13910-Roadster-dash-cam-suggestions/page3

$70 Mobius 1080P Dashcam

Pics below show it installed behind Roadster mirror. I enlarged the LED hole so I can be sure its 'on'. The thing is very small, yet has a 90minute Lipo battery in it too. It has a PC / Mac GUI for adjusting numerous settings for resolution, frame rate, time-lapse and much more.

It does get hot to the touch - the silver looking buttons are actually heat sinks. I didnt like the idea of heat and Lipo's so I modified mine to have 2 x 5 Farad (!) ultracapacitors which provide enough energy to correctly terminate the recording and power down the cam, when the car is switched off.

The stills below show amazing resolution for such a small device, and it works really well at night too !

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have a problem with the rear camera. It records in a mirrored mode. License plate numbers are reversed on the video. Video is recorded the opposite. Left is right and right is left. I can't find in the camera settings anything that will fix this. Any ideas other than reverse the video with computer software? Thanks.

Hmmm, maybe it was made for a car with right-hand drive

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wanted to try a 1080Px30fps dash cam with the following features:
  1. Use the car battery as the power source and use an internal capacitor to handle safe shutdown when turned off
  2. No screen
  3. Support Mac OS to perform settings and for playback
  4. Cost less than $200
"Lukas 7200 CUTY" seemed to meet these requirements. It has a built-in GPS, a shock sensor, and is supplied with cabling for a permanent wire-in instead of plugging into a cigarette lighter. It has the ability to turn itself off and not draw any current if the battery goes below a user-definable low voltage threshold. I liked all that.

As I had no experience with dash cams, I relied on the forum at Dash Cam Talk to learn as much as I could about dash cams and their manufacturers. The Korean manufacturer of the Lukas brand seemed to have a decent reputation. I paid $169 for it at amazon.com.

The camera isn't tiny like the popular and cheaper Mobius camera. But it appears to be sturdy, meets my requirements and fits behind the rearview mirror.

I have been using it for just 2-3 days. Seems to work ok, but I have no other experience with dash cams or anything to compare to. I already have a couple of crazy driving clips captured. I showed them to my kids, who are not yet driving age, to teach how not to drive :)

Here are some pictures of the camera:

The box – Top view

The box – Side view

Contents of the box – The camera, the cable for permanent wiring to the car, adhesive tapes, an 8GB SD card, and a manual. I am using a third party 64GB SD card instead of the card that came with the camera.

Size comparison with an iPhone 5S

As seen from the outside – When you look at it in closeup, it is not the prettiest look, especially when paired with my 2014 Smart ED's rain sensor puck. But the whole thing is black and unless you really stare at it long, it is not noticeable.

As seen from the driver's position – Can't see anything because it hides behind the rear view mirror.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts