Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry I forgot to put in the PM that I reserved around 11pm EST on the 28th of Aug. My Zip is 06880 and reserved a Silver with Black Tridion Passion

Passion,
You submitted your reservation on August 28, but it wasn't confirmed until August 30. Please check your confirmation to verify.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last 4 digits of the reservation number indicate the reservation date. It is the number of days counting forward from January 1, 2004.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
My reservation was about 1500Q (EDT), 1900Z (GMT). The return number confirmation was received at 1538Q.

The leading "3x" seems to be somewhat common. Maybe my real sequence number is 8321.

(30 8321 11271)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Works For Me!

Mine comes out bang on:

Microsoft date for 1/01/2004 = 37987
Microsoft date for 3/30/2007 = 39171
Difference = 1184 = last four digits of my reservation number.

Excellent detective work lhoboy! Now if we can decode the remaining digits.....

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everybody,
I'm trying to crack the first 6 digits of the reservation number. PM me with your reservation number, zipcode, and date and time of day you got your reservation confirmation. Also for those of you with the last 4 digits of 1173, be sure to tell me if you you have been invited to place your order. The last 4 digit date code was pretty easy based on the spotty reservation reports we've seen on the forum to date, but the rest will require alot more organized data. I'll be looking at common carrier zone codes, and trying to research Penske sales regions to identify a location code.

I like these braintwisters

·
Banned
64 Posts
I believe the 5th from the last digit is a check digit for model number. Mine is 2, passion. 1 should be pure and 3 is cabrio, I think.

Aaron Lephart

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
As convoluted as the registration date is (I would think a plain four-digit “Julian date” would have been as effective), I think that adding a locator or model number to the string would make the number unnecessarily complex for them, considering that they are holding that information separately. The initial model/color preference was probably culled and removed from a registrant’s profile, because that is being asked for a second time.

Could it be possible that the other numbers in the string indicate different distribution programs that we are not privy to? We know that the PAG and smartUSA people are going to be offered first dibs, and maybe some other favored persons/groups also, with their own priority numbers – Joe Gazook in the mailroom isn’t going to get his before Mr. P. Could the common leading “3” indicate priority numbers within the reservation program, “1” maybe “The Man” and his group, and “2” another group of intermediaries?

I have read that production of the N.A. 451 is to begin in October, six months before the estimated availability to early U.S. reservation holders. Where is all that early production going to? All to Canada? Doubt it; not all of it.

BTW, once the four date digits are neglected, I can find no sequence of remaining numbers in my 3083211 1271 that produce a correct trailing check sum.

(Edit: In checking back traffic, I see that someone reported a number 6xxxxxxxxxx. That kinda hoses the "3" theory. Also, there is nothing buried in my number that corresponds to my area's Zip Code group - 23xxx for S.E. VA. dbf)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The first digit in my reservation number is 0.

The fifth from the last digit in my reservation number is 1, but I "reserved" a passion, so the "1=pure,2=passion,3=cabrio" theory does not work for me.

However, the previously mentioned coding for the last four digits holds true for my reservation number.

alan

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NM_Dude, qwalker, MicroNut and Passion,

Thank you all for the PM's. I'll keep folks posted if I see any patterns.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe the 5th from the last digit is a check digit for model number. Mine is 2, passion. 1 should be pure and 3 is cabrio, I think.

Aaron Lephart
Aaron,
Doesn't quite work as tipo has mentioned, and I have now seen a 0 in that column as well. Please keep those theories coming. We can test all of them.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
PHEW! What built up anticipation in all this! Imagine later this year and into early next year when REAL things really start to happen??!! I'm expecting my last 5 digits of 11174 will yield me an order confirmation email this Fall sometime and hopefully a February/March delivery. Who would have ever thought grown up men could get so excited about buying a new car at this age? Hey, the best things in life are free and with all the negative crap floating around these days, I'll take some happy hype, thank you!

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all who have contributed reservation info via PMs to me.

For others, please send me your reservation numbers, model, color selections, time of reservation and zipcode. I will need a lot more data points to figure out the first 6 digits of the reservation number.

For anyone interested in in helping to solve this puzzle, let me know and I can send you a spreadsheet with the pertinent info that has been sufficiently scrubbed to maintain anonymity for the actual reservation holders. This project will require a team effort.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts