Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Because he linked it to another post in the SCoA members section; probably should add the links to this post. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorr about the post......

...Thanks jwhite. I didn't realize you had to have permission to view it. My bad!

Here's the post.

smartUSA President Dave Schembri was "profiled" this past Sunday (03-30-08) in the Detroit News/Free Press Business/Auto section where they chronicle his life. Read it online here:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080330/BUSINESS01/803300703/1002/PRINT

He was also a guest on "Autoline Detroit" last Sunday morning (show 1213). You can watch the interview AND take a tour of SmartUSA Headquarters. Here is the web site to the show:

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/autoline/

Here's a chance to learn a little about the President of smartUSA! Take a peek.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Guess they haven't figured it out yet

Unlike a normal manual transmission vehicle, where the driver would ease off the gas while shifting, the driver in a Smart must anticipate when the car is going to shift: easing off and pressing down on the gas at the right moments to keep the acceleration smooth.
This is the problem with a lot of reviews. When I first got my car I had the natural urge to ease off on the gas when the car shifted. Now I know that you do not ease up but just let the car shift. It drives much better that way.

I guess Dave is pretty smart to not criticize how other people drive (assuming he knew about the comment).

BTW - I first got wind of the proper way to drive here on SCOA. Check out the post by Karl Roth.

Also great post on the Internet by Rick Masters called "The Key to High Mileage: Understanding the Smart transmission" gets into depth on the issue.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
This is the problem with a lot of reviews. When I first got my car I had the natural urge to ease off on the gas when the car shifted. Now I know that you do not ease up but just let the car shift. It drives much better that way.

I guess Dave is pretty smart to not criticize how other people drive (assuming he knew about the comment).

BTW - I first got wind of the proper way to drive here on SCOA. Check out the post by Karl Roth.

Also great post on the Internet by Rick Masters called "The Key to High Mileage: Understanding the Smart transmission" gets into depth on the issue.
Thanks for the faith, Mr. Masters has it right and I can forgive the dealer network putting out bad information when it comes from the top. There must be a "smart" engineer kicking them self in the butt for talking to Mr. Schembri. It is a lovely box when you let it do its job.
Thank you
karl

·
Registered
364 Posts
omg... I guess i dont know how to drive my smart then!!
sheesh... i better start reading the other thread... Karl, i might email you if i dont understand something... -english is not my first language, so sometimes i dont get all... lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts