Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jennifer and I will be running 2 day trips on Friday and Saturday and I wanted to post them here incase anyone wanted to join us. If you're interested please post below or PM me to get coordinated.

Friday - We'll be leaving Friday morning around 8:30-9am from the Lodge to head out to a small pistol/rifle range in the Nantahala Forest. There is a small 5 dollar fee to use the range. We did this with a group at OTD 2 years ago and had a great time!! Just need ammo and targets and you're all set. Once done at the range we'll continue on to Franklin, NC to have lunch at Caffe Rel. This is a great little place that's very popular because the food is spectacular. The Road from Fontana to Franklin is a wonderful State Forest route with lots of twists and turns. Once lunch is finished we'll visit one of the local gem mines in the area to sift for gems... again... always a good time each year we've done it. We'll take Route 28 back to Fontana in the afternoon (more curves) and if time allows we'll stop at a small shop that we went to a number of years ago on a group trip at OTD... some of the best crafts and homemade cheese you've ever tried!!!

Saturday - Once done with the group Dragon run we'll turn around and go back up TOTD so we can get to the Robbinsville side to take on the Cherohala Skyway. The Skyway runs back into Tennessee along the ridge... the views are spectacular. If the crowds aren't too bad we'll stop at Bald River falls then head to Kats Deli on the River for lunch (Another annual stop for us). After lunch beside the river we'll continue on into Tellico Plains and take Rt 360/441/72 to complete the loop back up TOTD to get back to Fontana.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Saturday - Once done with the group Dragon run we'll turn around and go back up TOTD so we can get to the Robbinsville side to take on the Cherohala Skyway. The Skyway runs back into Tennessee along the ridge... the views are spectacular. If the crowds aren't too bad we'll stop at Bald River falls then head to Katz on the River for lunch (Another annual stop for us). After lunch beside the river we'll continue on into Tellico Plains and take Rt 360/441/72 to complete the loop back up TOTD to get back to Fontana.
My wife & I will be doing Cherohala this year as well, there's 3 waterfalls we want to do up one road, probably the one you're talking about is in the group. We usually eat in Tellico Plains at a little diner I've been going to for 2 years. We'll try to do a ruby mine, a different one than we've gone to before. Our daughter and granddaughter will be with us and may be with us on the trips. (It's granddaughter's smart they'll be in)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts