Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son, who lives/works in Canada, informs me that the TransCan required daytime running lights (DRLs) operate the low beams at low intensity. It is his impression that new cars equipped with light sensors will energize the whole headlight system when it activates itself, bringing the low beams up to normal intensity. He thinks the rain sensor may do likewise, along with the wipers. So, maybe the N.A. 451 smart

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't mean to imply that all are at low intensity, only that the retro-fit kit he installed to bring his U.S. vehicle into compliance burned them at low intensity. Personally, I hope the U.S. (N.A.) smarts are LO-HIs; saves bulb life.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Quite often, they (other cars) use the HI beams on low intensity. My MINI does this, leaving the halogens, used for normal intensity alone. I know Smart has changed the headlight arrangement for the 451 somewhat. Did the 450's also have halogens?

·
Registered
570 Posts
They were Halogens, but the lows now are Projector beams. I'm not too crazy about them. I have a set of them on a 94 5 series and their light output is not so great. They do look cool though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts