Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read of a few issues with DRL. I'm wondering if the issues are common and if the issues occur with the factory option DRL or just with the aftermarket versions. One of the options I thought I would want to get if/when I get my Smart would be the DRL's.

Len

·
17,351 Posts
LEDs burning out prematurely...

As far as I know, the issues are only present with aftermarket LEDs, not the factory units. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
LEDs burning out prematurely...

As far as I know, the issues are only present with aftermarket LEDs, not the factory units. :)
Good to hear... our city flame we bought Saturday has the DRL feature... you concerned me with your earlier comment in another thread about the LED's.

·
17,351 Posts
Good to hear... our city flame we bought Saturday has the DRL feature... you concerned me with your earlier comment in another thread about the LED's.
Oh no, mine aren't factory DRLs, just some cheap units off eBay. :)

Interestingly enough, Smart Madness sells these exact units...

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
If you buy the china versions, they are most likely rated for 12VDC. most cars run around 14 VDC when they are running and charging the battery. This makes LEDs burn out quickly, I got a pair of voltage regulators to knock down the voltage but the current lights i have are rated at 14.4VDC so I never installed the regulators.

·
17,351 Posts
If you buy the china versions, they are most likely rated for 12VDC. most cars run around 14 VDC when they are running and charging the battery. This makes LEDs burn out quickly, I got a pair of voltage regulators to knock down the voltage but the current lights i have are rated at 14.4VDC so I never installed the regulators.
Mine are rated at 13.1 VDC. So that can explain it.

Then again, back in 2012 I got even cheaper AutoZone ones a long time ago that were only rated at 12 VDC. The only reason they failed (a year later) was because the harsh Winter of last year (and hot car washes during that Winter) wore down the seals on it until water got through.

These new ones leaked water from Day 1. I bet that's why they're already burning out.

here is my aftermarket set up using the OEM BRABUS holders... No issues as of yet and I've had them for over 6 months.

Those look factory!!! :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mine are rated at 13.1 VDC. So that can explain it.

Then again, back in 2012 I got even cheaper AutoZone ones a long time ago that were only rated at 12 VDC. The only reason they failed (a year later) was because the harsh Winter of last year (and hot car washes during that Winter) wore down the seals on it until water got through.

These new ones leaked water from Day 1. I bet that's why they're already burning out.

Those look factory!!! :D
I was actually VERY surprised that they fit in the OEM holders.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Jim could that be why we were seeing burnouts on our license plate LED's at one point? Must have gone thru 5 or 6 before I found a set that stayed for a while.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have an 09 Brabus Cabrio with factory DRL option. It does require you to replace the low beam bulbs more often. The 09 factory DRL feature does not have the lights in the foglight position, but uses the factory headlights and they turn on automatically as soon as you start the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies guys. Good to hear that it doesn't appear there is an issue with the factory DRL's. For the little that they cost vs. aftermarket, when/if I place my order, I'll go for the DRL's. I am ready to buy a ED, but the issue right now is that the closest Smart center is 175 miles away. That presents a big logistics problem. My only other option would be the electric green tridion cell.

Len

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I have after market setup that turned the blinker bulbs into DRL. use LED in blinker fixture with no issue for years....

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
I got the idea about the bulb/LED voltages when MB released a 'fix' for headlights burning out early, they install a voltage regulator on the headlight lines... (so I was told)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts