Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about a fan problem in a previous thread that I thought was resolved when I cleaned the filter and secured the filter door, but apparently it was wishful thinking on my part or it was coincidence that the fan seemed to improve for a while (warmer temps maybe?).

Anyway, on the way to Robbinsville and home, the fan in my car was making the same kinds of noises as before and has now started shutting itself off and coming back on or not coming on at all. If its running, airflow is pretty pathetic with or without the cabin filter.

I've got a trip to Delaware coming up, so I'm trying to work with a dealership in the DC/NoVA area to get it replaced on the way. I need a shop with Saturday service hours and tried Tysons Corner since their website indicates they have Sat service, but they were not very helpful. The SM had never heard of fan problems and would have to see/hear it before ordering a part and that will take a while, blah, blah, come and see us on your next 6 hour trip to have it replaced. I was then told that they don't actually have Sat service hours for smarts.

So, does anyone have a dealership they can recommend in this area that won't give me the runaround about ordering a part for replacement on my trip? Or, maybe a dealer rep on SCOA from this area? I don't want to play the 6 visits to 5 dealers to get a problem fixed like I did with the AC problem (bad expansion valve).

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Give a call to Mark Ahmad, 703 647 4410; tell him I send you, and keep me posted. Good luck!

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
FYI, Mark is the Parts & Service Manager at scAlexandria. I didn't have the time to type the info in the previous message: I was on the road (but not driving).

Note: I'll move the thread to "our" local folder, with a redirect.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been working with Mark on the fan issue and he has got the part in stock and has me setup to replace the fan this Saturday morning. Hooray for scAlexandria!

I didn't plan on having anything else done, but since I'll have some time, I also asked Mark about the 20K service (minus oil change) so we'll see if he can squeeze that in.

Thanks for the recommendation and I'll keep them in mind for any future service when I'm headed that direction!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick follow-up on this issue... Mark at scAlexandria was very helpful in replacing the fan in the car and getting me back on my trip in short order. I also had the brake fluid changed in the car and he checked out/cleaned the rear drums. They were also able to lube the brake pedal which had been squeaking a bit lately.

Kudos to Mark and scAlexandria for their helpful and professional service! Also, a big thanks to JPaul for the recommendation and stopping by the dealership while my car was being serviced to say hi. It's always nice to put a face with a screen name!

The car and the climate control have been running great since the warranty replacement. Unfortunately, I'm officially out of warranty now as the car rolled over 24K shortly after leaving Alexandria. :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
I haven't been in often, but the couple times I've been in Smart Alexandria has been nice. Glad you got in before the mileage went too high.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
How were the folks at the Tysons Smart Center useless? I have had very good service from them from the time i got my car there to the services i had done there. Jim Osbourne is very knowledgeable in the car and will even be upfront in what is going on. Example: The person who did some warranty work on my car regarding a clutchplate had broken some small part on the car, and was completely honest in letting me know about it as well had taken the time to make sure the car part was ordered and then made sure the piece was put back in. No service center of any kind will ever do that, most will skate over that stuff hoping it will never be noticed by the customer. That is a true example of being great in that area, and i work for a place that stresses this daily.
Perhaps if you were to share whatever poor experience you might have experienced with Tysons with the manager Lance Lamphere, you may find that he will take whatever the issue was very seriously.

Smart Alexandria >>>>> Those useless folks at the Tysons Corner Smart center

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.