Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating a stereo setup for an Electric Drive and I'm trying to figure out how many amps the DC/DC converter can put out. I'm used to thinking in terms of alternators that can be rebuilt and swapped out without much hassle, but this converter is a whole other animal.

My follow up question will of course be, can anything be done to increase output?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The capacity of the DC-DC converter at is a very good question. Unfortunately, technical informaiton like that seems to be unavailable to us ordinary schmucks - only an obscure MB engineering priesthood in Stuttgartt have that information - even the dealer service personnel seem to have trouble getting such information.

As far as increasing the capacity - the answer maybe. The DC-DC converter is a PC board located inside the "do not enter" power control unit. But, if you can find or build your own a 350V-13.5V DC-DC converter, you could connect it to one of the orange HV cables (main power, A/C, charger, heater) which are energized when the key switch is in the on position, and hook its output to the battery to serve as an auxiliary parallel power supply.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts