Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Results parked car two days below freezing temps and I was dead every time. The last straw was when I went out of town parked at the airport and when I returned I was dead the lot attendent did not know where the battery was so here I was with him driving out to my car to jump start it.

I left the car and I guess all the stars and planets aligned because two hrs later he told me my car was ready and that they had replaced the Battery with one twice the size and cranking amps.
Paul
[email protected]
Umm you may have to thank ME! Check out my earlier post my NY friend. And you can see I also went thru NY Smart hell. I wrote a letter to corporate. Corporate was VERY consumer friendly. I guess they are big picture folks and realize Smart owners are also free sales agents and need to keep their sales people happy. They agreed that I should NOT have paid for my battery. And said they will replace it with a stronger battery (which, before my complaint, NY Smart said there wasn't such a battery available!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dead battery update

To answer some of the questions My battery was replaced with an:

Interstate Battery, Light green top with the Nascar logo on top.

As it is Snowing here yet again I was only able to get that much info because the new (?) bracket and Foam are covering the battery model and specs on Cranking amps. I will post an update as soon as I can take the bracket off.

To my fellow NYorker! I don't stand on ceremony and will take any help from anyone! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yup, that's a bigger battery. The OEM one I have says either 340 or 430 (I forget which) cranking amps - not even CCA. What's interesting is he got a group 47 battery... others here have suggested group 34 batteries... slight difference in measurements, inches below in bold. A 34R has about 20% more power in it but even so, the 47's about double OEM. 85 minutes of reserve power is pretty decent. Replacement under warranty makes it sweeter.

34R A MT-34R 12 700 120 875 24 75 10 1/4 6 7/8 7 3/4
47 A MT-47 12 590 85 740 24 75 9 5/8 6 7/8 7

Source:

http://www.interstatedealers.com/ibcatalog_07/common/spec_sheets.pdf

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Optima 34R

Re: Optima 34R

To Specifically address "cablvr's" PM and also provide general information for all.

Factors to consider;

If you accept the Interstate battery, will the battery warranty commence the installation of that battery? Is it an Interstate warranty or a Smart warranty?

The only (In my opinion) benefit from the Smart dealer offered Interstate battery is, No charge to you (In the short term). How much does the H8 weigh? . . . . . . . If you do except it, insist on keeping the original hold-down.
The Optima is 10"L-6.8"W-7"H, 38.8 lbs. 800CCA 1000CA.
6 yr Warranty, 3 years full n/c replacement, 3 yr prorated. National dealer network for warranty. No gassing, No corrosion, Never have to check electrolyte level.

A big reason for wanting the maximum Capacity battery is:

Referring to the maximum ampere output of a battery (Which decreases with age from new );

1. 100% @ 80 deg F IE 720CCA
2. 60% of 80 deg @ 32 deg F = 432 CCA
3 40% of 80 deg @ 0 deg F = 288 CCA

Ask your dealer: "How many amps is the 'Starter ampere draw of the Smart @ 80 - 60 - 0 deg? ". This is not taking into consideration the increased drag ( increased ampere draw) from cold oil and transmission fluid and friction.

I could continue, but it gets technical.

Donald LaFavor

Brought our smart to the dealer last week (January 20) after the 3rd jump for a dead battery. SA mentioned the factory had not released a "fix" for the battery failure. I had the dealer keep the smart over the weekend, outside in the cold. SA called Monday morning - "the battery is being replaced with a larger/stronger one and it should arrive Tuesday (January 27) morning". Battery arrived yesterday, but without a "hold down" strap - on backorder. Now I have a smart with a weak battery.

Sorry for the long rant - but it looks like the factory has not found an answer for this bug other than to install stronger batteries. As soon as I get a receipt for the warranty replacement, I will post the "op code" to use with your dealer.

Love the smart - hate the downtime.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
RE: 34

Factors to consider;

The only (In my opinion) benefit from the Smart dealer offered Interstate battery is, No charge to you (In the short term). How much does the H8 weigh? . . . . . . . If you do except it, insist on keeping the original hold-down.
6 yr Warranty, 3 years full n/c replacement, 3 yr prorated. National dealer network for warranty. No gassing, No corrosion, Never have to check electrolyte level.

Referring to the maximum ampere output of a battery (Which decreases with age from new );

Ask your dealer: "How many amps is the 'Starter ampere draw of the Smart @ 80 - 60 - 0 deg? ". This is not taking into consideration the increased drag ( increased ampere draw) from cold oil and transmission fluid and friction.

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Dealer - "smart instructed us to install Interstate MTP-H8"

Factors to consider;

Donald LaFavor
Many thanks to Donald for his input and feedback.

Dealer has been told by smartUSA to replace my battery with an Interstate MTP-H8. Waiting until a proprietary hold-down clamp arrives from smart/Interstate - presumably will arrive on 02/16 or 02/17. I'll report back with the results - I am particularly interested to see if the H8 will fit in the space available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
battery / smart 2.0 Check up

I received a letter dated March 11 advising me that I was entitled, as a 2008 model year owner, to an transmission upgrade (I believe it is software) to the 2009 operating mode. When I called about it I was told that I was also entitled to shifter lubrication and a battery replacementupgrade. Since I have already replaced the battery I am not sure what they will do, but I do find it interesting that the battery issue was to be handled while doing a transmission software update. Has anyone else received a letter or gone thru the update yet? Please advise. If not I will post my results after I go.
Paul

[email protected]

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
I received a letter dated March 11 advising me that I was entitled, as a 2008 model year owner, to an transmission upgrade (I believe it is software) to the 2009 operating mode. When I called about it I was told that I was also entitled to shifter lubrication and a battery replacementupgrade. Since I have already replaced the battery I am not sure what they will do, but I do find it interesting that the battery issue was to be handled while doing a transmission software update. Has anyone else received a letter or gone thru the update yet? Please advise. If not I will post my results after I go.
Paul

[email protected]
Letters are coming in these days.
See more, among many, at:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/tranny-2-0-official-program-name-smart-2-0-check-up-20852/ :wink:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I haven't had any battery problems with the smart, but have been using the Save-A-Battery Charger, Maintainer, Conditioner with our non-smart car and it is outstanding. Highly recommended for people who may have a car that sits 2-3 weeks without use. I particularly like their cabling system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have 9 battery maintainers on various cars, motorcycles, tractors, and generators at my home in New York. I have 5 on various cars motorcycles and a generator here in Florida. Depending on the amount of electronic memory the unit has will affect how quickly the battery will go down. My Lexus SC430 is the fastest to go dead, a little under 2 weeks, some of my older cars will last a number of months.
I buy the battery maintainers that Walmart sells for less than 20 bucks.
When my Smart arrives in mid June it will be wired on asap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Forgot to mention in my previous post, that once a battery is pulled all the way down, and held in that condition for a period of time (not long) often a cell or cells will be weakend. This will result in the pulldown period being shorter and shorter until it won't hold a charge at all. Bitter experience has taught me that once a battery is pulled down, its a good idea to start looking for a replacement, if its in a vehicle you need to depend on.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Forgot to mention in my previous post, that once a battery is pulled all the way down, and held in that condition for a period of time (not long) often a cell or cells will be weaken. This will result in the pull down period being shorter and shorter until it won't hold a charge at all. Bitter experience has taught me that once a battery is pulled down, its a good idea to start looking for a replacement, if its in a vehicle you need to depend on.
Rich,

Amen to that. My battery had lost a charge back in January and the starter would just click the solenoid. I recharged it and drove the car several times until about late March. We went on vacation for a few weeks in April and when I tried to start the car last week it was stone-cold-DEAD!. I have a solid state charger with battery reconditioning and it has brought back several batteries to use again, but no matter what it wouldn't restore this baby.

I know the 2.0 Check (???recall???) would replace the weak (cheap?) battery and it does the shift change, but mine shifts fine for me and why spend 6 hours and waste a day round trip driving for another inferior battery design? This weekend I went to Sam's and bought a Optima so I don't have to go through this again. Plus, I don't have to install some form of secondary charger system and pull the darn floor all apart to check the water.

I bought the $139 series 78 and there is plenty of space for the side terminals to not touch anything. Rather than searching for the 34R, I thought I would go with the red top that 3 of the local Sam's stocked. I did have to reverse the positive cable (plenty of length and easy) and I made a new ground cable for about $8 from AZ parts. I also needed a shim under the hold down clamp, but it is a pretty great fit for a 1000 AH battery. I have a lot more confidence in AGM batteries than wet cell and now I should be good to go for many, many years. And the Styrofoam floor can stay in place......

61 - 80 of 83 Posts