Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased our Smart Car Passion 2 about 4 months ago and have been very happy with it. However, about 1 month ago, after not having driven the car in about 1 week, we found it would not start. We had to get roadside assistance to jump start the car. It was brought to the dealer who re-charged the battery and indicated there was nothing wrong with the battery and no discharge.

This has since happend 2 more times. Needless to say, we've since purchased a battery charger, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this. According to the dealer, this is normal. Personally, I've never had a problem such as this before -- it's not unusual to leave a car for a week and then restart it just fine.

Please let me know if this is a common problem with the Smart Car Passion model and, if so, what you've done about it.

Thanks,

jordman

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I left my little car for about a week and it started without a problem when I came back. My little car is the Pure version. It was in June of 2008.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Try and do a search

Yes, there has been an issue with batteries. I do not think they are really good batteries anyway but that is just my opinion. The 09's have an issue with the software fix that is draining the batteries-temp workaround is to turn off auto wipers and auto headlights when not in use. I think this has also helped cause a shortage of batteries. Best bet is to get your battery load tested.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the battery in the smart is not all that large - and the entire car is electrical and it does draw a charge when off - alarm can also contribute and there has been speculation here that if you leave the auto on lamps and wipers in the auto-on position, they draw a slight charge when the vehicle is off as well.
it's a good idea to run it at least once a week if you can. if you're going to store it for longer than a week, put it on a battery tender.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I hate to join this club but I just did! I last used the car Christmas day and today, Jan 2, went to start it up only to get the "click of death." After figuring out how to access the battery (what a hassle that is), I hooked up my charger and got it started. The car is kept in a garage, but locked, so I wonder if the alarm helped to drain it. It wasn't all that cold inside the garage, but, colder than it has been.

Rather than having to take the car apart, is there a more convenient method to jump/recharge the ca in the futurer? I've seen devices that plug into the power jack, do they work?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Rather than having to take the car apart, is there a more convenient method to jump/recharge the ca in the futurer? I've seen devices that plug into the power jack, do they work?
They might work but just be careful as the whole car is more or less computer controlled and a surge or too much current on the wrong circuit could cause a lot of issues.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I have a system that plugs into the cigarette lighter/power outlet. I have yet to use it. When I do, I will let you know. I will ask Smart USA or the center where I bought mine if it will damage anything if I use it. It is suppose to be safer than connecting it to ones battery directly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
They might work but just be careful as the whole car is more or less computer controlled and a surge or too much current on the wrong circuit could cause a lot of issues.
Thanks! Yes, that's the reason for my question. I don't want to fry anything but also, don't want to have to dismantle the car every time I have a dead battery. It would have been hell for me had it occured on the road somewhere in sub freezing temperatures. I carry AAA but suspect they'd have been lost as to how to access the battery as well, plus, I'm certain I could have expected some damage to that foam floor board in the process.

It would have been nice if smart had located remote connection terminals somewhere under the "hood" to provide convenient access.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
excellent idea

Thanks! Yes, that's the reason for my question. I don't want to fry anything but also, don't want to have to dismantle the car every time I have a dead battery. It would have been hell for me had it occured on the road somewhere in sub freezing temperatures. I carry AAA but suspect they'd have been lost as to how to access the battery as well, plus, I'm certain I could have expected some damage to that foam floor board in the process.

It would have been nice if smart had located remote connection terminals somewhere under the "hood" to provide convenient access.
I think that is an excellent idea. I think it would be worth mentioning it to them. :cool:

·
Agent 86
99 Posts
The big problem with using the power port, is that when the key is switched off, that's a dead circuit. You have to wire a power port directly to the battery, or via a non key switched circuit to make that work.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
This has about every connection you'd need:

:)
Yes it does! :)

I have used the Battery Tender Plus on my 2 wheelers for years and I get 5 - 6 years out of a motorcycle battery :eek: Anyone who rides a 2 wheeler knows THAT'S doing something :rolleyes:

I highly recommend this product and WILL be putting the "harness" on MY smart ! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for your replies. I gather it's relatively rare that the battery dies after a week of not driving, although there's agreement that the batteries are not that great. The dealer tested the electrical and charging system, but did not specifically mention a load run and declared there to be no excess draw. As far as I know, we don't have auto-wipers or auto-lamps. I'll investigate a battery tender (though I'm not sure what that is). I've written to SmartUSA in the hopes they can tell me if there's an issue that will be addressed at some point in the future (ie: replacing with a higher-voltage battery).

Anyway, I really appreciate your input.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My 0.2 !!!

Thanks all for your replies. I gather it's relatively rare that the battery dies after a week of not driving, although there's agreement that the batteries are not that great. The dealer tested the electrical and charging system, but did not specifically mention a load run and declared there to be no excess draw. As far as I know, we don't have auto-wipers or auto-lamps. I'll investigate a battery tender (though I'm not sure what that is). I've written to SmartUSA in the hopes they can tell me if there's an issue that will be addressed at some point in the future (ie: replacing with a higher-voltage battery).

Anyway, I really appreciate your input.

Have had the car almost 1 year, One of the first bunch to get here. Have all types of extras hooked up, Sub woofer, Gps, Satelitte Radio, ETC. Have not started the car for 2 weeks, not a problem. The real test is a LOAD Test. That will tell if there is a bad cell, that dies on the power draw. Hope this will help.
p1nball:cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hate to join this club but I just did! I last used the car Christmas day and today, Jan 2, went to start it up only to get the "click of death." After figuring out how to access the battery (what a hassle that is), I hooked up my charger and got it started. The car is kept in a garage, but locked, so I wonder if the alarm helped to drain it. It wasn't all that cold inside the garage, but, colder than it has been.

Dead - mine too. Left for a week and had to put the charger on it. After reading some threads it looks like to be a common problem. I have the comfort package.

I will run a 10 gauge wire to under the seat with a Anderson Powerpole on the end so I can hook the charger in to jump the car in the future without having to ripe the floor apart. Not Fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jordman,
I had my first dead battery after about 3 weeks. Under warantee they came out to jump it. Was told there was a problem with leaving on the auto lights and some other auto thing. And I was not supposed to leave both on when I turn off the key. Happened once more. Then the company recalled the car to fix that problem. Happened once again after I didn't drive it a couple weeks. Then it hasn't happened again ... until today. I have been driving it at least once a week, so I don't know why this keeps happening.
Unfortunately it is now over a year old, so I have to pay for the guy to come out and jump start it.
The dealer here appears not to love having to deal with the tiny box cars. Not pleasant people and I try to avoid them.
Carbrown

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever find out if the "battery via lighter" works? My battery has to be "started" with my portable charger each time I drive (I start it twice daily). I have to drive quite a distance to a smart dealer and I am considering the R34.....any experience or information would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
The 'battery via lighter' is just plain a bad idea. It runs voltage on the wrong side of the fuses which can defeat the whole purpose of a fuse. Plus, the lighter circuit is only fused for 5A(I believe) and a starter will draw much more than that.

Having to jump start twice a day is crazy! I would guess that the battery is probably either dry or internally shorted. Go to a good qualified Battery place and talk with them about upgrading your battery. You can get a battery that will fit in the same place with more CCA (cold cranking amps) and a larger reserve than the stock battery. They can also check to see if the alternator is working.

Most automotive charging systems will recharge a dead battery in about 15 min, unless the battery is damaged from being discharged too long.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts