Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Passion Cabriolet that I bought used last summer. She's had the software updates and the 50K service. Everything was peachy......until this afternoon.

When I got ready to leave work, I got the Three Bars of Death. The console beeps, horn will honk....but I can't move the car out of P and can't get rid of the 3 bars. The triangle lights up, as if to mock my futile efforts.

I had to abandon the car and get a ride home. Now I guess my next step is to research this site to try to figure out what's wrong. I *know* I've read about this before--just gotta find it.

I'm worried that it's going to be majorly expensive to fix...and the nearest MB place is 100 miles away. :-(

any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You might try disconnecting the battery for 10-20 minutes?

That seems to reset the internal computer and maybe it will behave?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
There are several threads on here about the "3 bars of death" and it can have multiple causes (dead or low battery recently?), but there is a section in the owner's manual about "re-teaching" the transmission when it occurs. That should be the first thing you try before going down any other road.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
The horn honking, console beeping, etc.

Sounds like you MIGHT have a short somewhere :eek:

You can try disconnecting the battery and "reteaching" the tranny, it MAY help, but if it's a short.....that's like trying to find a needle in a needle stack :)

A good meter will be your friend there :D

This will get you out of park :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE-teaching worked, after several tries. Whew!!! Catastrophe averted!!

The yellow triangle stayed lit up all the way home, but went off after turning off/on the car again.

Thank goodness!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts