Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2014 smart car “e”. We had it plugged in over night and went to drive it and it was dead. No lights, no bells, no anything.
We have a newer after market charger that we have used for 6 months with no issues…

car is dead, like the battery has been removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We’ve had zero issues in the past with charging or the battery. It does not seem likely that the battery would die so abruptly ..?

when we plug charger into car, charger light comes on on the cable but the car does nothing. No charge light on dash, nothing…

is there a main fuse or shut off or an emergency shut off? Something like that?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If this is an ED like I suspect, there are two batteries a 12V like any normal car and the High Voltage (HV) aka drive battery. 12 V battery dies and you get a dead car like a normal Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). Now a dead/bad 12 V has been reported as destroying the $$$$$ HV battery hence get a replacement/charge it ASAP...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
390 Posts
What jzchen said, your 12 volt battery is either too old and dropped below a threshold voltage to turn the car on, or the connectors to the 12 volt battery are loose or corroded to the point of not allowing the voltage to turn the car on. Either way you need to replace or repair before the car decides to shut down permanently. This is an unfortunate design flaw with the 451 ED vehicle. Search in the "Search Community" box with the term "bricked" or "Bricking". Read the results in the "smart fortwo Electric Drive" subforum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If this is an ED like I suspect, there are two batteries a 12V like any normal car and the High Voltage (HV) aka drive battery. 12 V battery dies and you get a dead car like a normal Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). Now a dead/bad 12 V has been reported as destroying the $$$$$ HV battery hence get a replacement/charge it ASAP...

thank you

I’ll give it a try and post the outcome

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
If the 12v battery is original and eight years old, get it out of there ASAP I'd say. Also in 2016 or so there was the one and only computer update for the 451 EV's. You need to make sure that update was done on your car. A former Smart car dealer or even a cooperative Mercedes dealer can tell you if it's been done. If it has not been done, I highly recommend you get it done. I'm not sure if only a former Smart car dealer has to do it. In any case that update should be free to have done.

Len

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
We have a 2014 smart car “e”. We had it plugged in over night and went to drive it and it was dead. No lights, no bells, no anything.
We have a newer after market charger that we have used for 6 months with no issues…

car is dead, like the battery has been removed.
Please keep us updated if the new battery worked.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Since the ED 12 V doesn't have to turn over an ICE it's more like an alarm clock that all of a sudden stops working.

In the mean time while finding a battery you may want to try to give it a "jump start".

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I believe it's not "alternator" but DC-DC converter.

EDIT-. Our moderator Len had a little hard time with his cigarette lighter 12V monitor gauging the 12 V voltage level because it would kick in really quicky after starting, (in another thread).

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
The HV battery is more or less the "alternator" for the EV's. When the key is ON, it charges the 12v battery. As soon as the key is turned ON, it starts sending juice to the 12v battery.

Len

1 - 12 of 12 Posts