• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
checking the response to a possible rally in historic Deadwood SD. close to Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills, Devils Tower, lots of places for a road trip. week of June 20th 2016

** no guarantees the rally will happen, this is not locking you into attending. Just seeing if there is an interest.

** Note Date Change**

Date has been changed to week of June 13th
new post:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/suggestions-2016-deadwood-rally-103218/

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Great location, excellent scenery, but just too far unless I was headed that way for some other reason. Should work well for folks in the plains states. :)

EDIT: OK, after some thought and now that this is a national event, I'm in.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
The black Hills are a great place to drive for fun. The scenery is fantastic, the roads curvy and well maintained and there are a lot of places to visit in close proximity. If you have never seen Mt. Rushmore it is so much better than you would expect during the day and even better at night. The Badlands are remarkable and in many ways more fun than the Grand Canyon since you get to drive through them.
Next year is the normal year for a national event so think about making it a national event focused on the new 453. You may be able to draw from the west coast as well from the plains and Midwest.
We will come and make it into a trip to the west coast to visit our son, wife, and grandkids.

ps...John...it is actually closer to Dayton than driving to Denver (last nationals.) I compared the drive from Columbus OH to Rapid City and the drive from Columbus OH (Dayton wasn't on the graph) to Denver and it was eight miles shorter to Rapid City. I was surprised.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Mick, if it turns into the Nationals with 100+ cars that's another story, but as is 8 miles shorter isn't enough to get me there. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Early planning stages, 1) find out if there is an interest, 2) see if it makes sense economically 3) plan of action 4) etc...

·
Registered
493 Posts
we are making the trip to Devils tower around the 4th of July this year .. camping out .. and we live in NY.. great area and great scenery..
taking our 8 inch Celestron telly for a star party... dark skys, and cold nites...yea!..
steveg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Deadwood South Dakota rally July/August 2016

Great location, excellent scenery, but just too far unless I was headed that way for some other reason. Should work well for folks in the plains states. :)
It's never to far for a road trip! How else are you going to get enough miles on your car to prove they can last longer than 200K? LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
South Dakota Rally

You bet, we would plan a trip to attend. I have not been to Mount Rushmore for quite a number of years and it is on my list for a revisit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toad??

I would attend a rally in SD if I can figure out how to tow Maxwell 86 behind the motorhome, with all tires on ground, like I do my Saturn......

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you can get a group of fellow smarties together for a roadtrip it is a lot of fun! For Denver, we had a caravan of about 8 smarties. We took our time getting there, stopping to sight see along the way. The Nationals was the destination, but we had a lot of fun getting there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If we can get vacation we would be there. We went there after Denver on our way home to Wisconsin. Try to include Needles highway and Spearfish canyon! Some day I will retire...... : )

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the Poll, so far 17, going to need 25 min, I'd like to set it up so we can park on main street for an afternoon, maybe have a Smart parade down main street the bigger the better. Any way thanks again for the poll.

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keep in mind that this weekend is the midwest rally in St Louis so many smarts are on the road. They may not have access to a computer until late Sunday or Monday.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.