• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just had dinner with my buddy and his wife. Dawn works for the Deadwood Chamber, she’ll be setting me up with a few people that handle events and are more than willing to help. Right now they are a bit busy with the events going on this summer. We came up with a time frame since everyone seemed to want June that the week of June 20th should work. That would be the week before or the week after next years Wild Bill Days. Dawn also said if it worked mid week would be the cheapest rates they could get for the group.. Any way that’s it so far, if someone can do a FB page. Dawn said we can use any graphic of deadwood on the web. some one could design the banner, maybe call it 2016 Deadwood Smart Nationals. On another note last years Cool Deadwood nights had 800 cars, if only 30 want to show up well than we can just keep it simple and meet here and ride whenever

·
Super Moderator
11,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You got plenty of time, most of the rallies I worked on didn't start with final arrangements until after the first of the year. I would guess an area like Deadwood may need more advanced planning as it would fill up quickly. Most participants aim for the weekend.

you want to change the date in the title?? I can help with that.

·
Registered
374 Posts
sure thanks jim make the change. I know it's early but I'd like to get a hard number, last years Kool Deadwood Nights had 800 cars show up; besides I'm looking at this more in the way of a vacation rally. I'd like to give the folks on the east cost time to make the trip. It will take them 2.5 days to get here so a weekend doesn't seem worth it. Working with the chamber I'm sure I can work out a good seven day six night stay package.

·
Super Moderator
11,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The wife has been wanting to go to see Rushmore, etc for years. I keep telling her to pick a date and we never seem to come up with one. This may be her chance..!!

We have had attendees from as far away as Seattle attend the rally in Wisconsin Dells, so if they want to make it, they will find a way. I am all for an extended itinerary as there is so much to do in that area, a weekend might not be enough time to see everything. It would be great to have a 'local' lay out what is worth seeing and what could be skipped. And avoid the disappointment of a less than stellar hotel to stay at. .. Been there!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are lots of things to do in the black hills, even a week won't take them all in, but if there is something specific, besides Mount Rushmore, (that is a given) that someone would like to do, just post it. I am sure I speak for Tom, we don't want to dictate what you do, we want everyone to enjoy this area as those of us who live here do.

·
Super Moderator
11,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
That is the beauty of an open itinerary, you don't have to do what the group is doing if it doesn't interest you. You can always go off on your own and catch up later with the group.

I agree open to suggestions....

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
Having the rally span midweek to the weekend allows those that can't get away in time for a midweek rally to make it for the end of the week. Hopefully it will draw smarties from both coasts as well as the middle of the country like the other National's have done.

Lodgings need to be nice but also affordable. Please also check into campgrounds that are in close proximity to the hotel/lodging chosen. Some of us choose to camp for various reasons including keeping costs down. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to another national's and being in the Black Hills again.

·
Banned
845 Posts
I live here so naturally I would go! Corvettes are here third week in July in Spearfish SD. Also Hell Canyon has ad a road rebuild, fun to zoom thru , yes I can zoom!

i actually have a lady friend in Spearfish that i met in Vegas a few years back, we shared a bar stool in the old O'shea's on x-mas eve. she bought me beers when i was temporarily "cut-off". :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Having the rally span midweek to the weekend allows those that can't get away in time for a midweek rally to make it for the end of the week. Hopefully it will draw smarties from both coasts as well as the middle of the country like the other National's have done.

Lodgings need to be nice but also affordable. Please also check into campgrounds that are in close proximity to the hotel/lodging chosen. Some of us choose to camp for various reasons including keeping costs down. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to another national's and being in the Black Hills again.
There are several campgrounds in the area. Even though I live in Custer, about 50 miles south, I will probably camp up there rather then drive back and forth.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Omahanut
Here’s what I’ve been thinking, not sure when Wild Bill Days fall next summer, but hoping to have that event the weekend after ours. That way from Monday thru Thursday is Deadwood Smarts, than the Concerts Friday and Saturday at Wild Bill Days. Drinking and Dancing on Main Street, best part its free. That would give everybody a great week of entertainment.

Monday and Tuesday, wagon trains (Smart Trains) to the southern hills, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park. Ever put your Smart next to a Buffalo? Also Run over to WY and the Devils Tower. Evenings freelance.
Wednesday take over Main Street, parade and park during the afternoon. (Not sure how long that would be). Sight see in Deadwood and up in Lead.
Thursday freelance things they haven’t seen yet, than maybe a closing dinner at one of the Hotels.

If you would like to help with the wagon trains south that would be good, I've only been down there once since I've been back, really have no clue besides the parks. As an insentive, if this happens you can stay here, set up to sleep seven.

I also think if we put the word out now, the folks could start saving their pennies and mark the calendar. I’m not much of a computer guy, so I’m going to need a bit of help getting this out on social media.

Thanks Again

Tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tom, who lives in Deadwood, and hopefully myself are going to meet with the chamber of commerce in September after the majority of the touristas leave town to get things going. At that time we will investigate hotels, campgrounds, etc. Until then we just would like everyone to keep the dates open. Once everything is set in stone, sort of, there will be a lot more advertising and promotion. If you have not been to the black hills, Deadwood is in the Northern Hills, and Custer which is where Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, and Crazy Horse is located is in the Southern Hills. It is about 50 miles and a little over an hour from one to the other, but the ride is beautiful. Devils Tour is in Wyoming to the West. We will do our best to accommodate everyones' concerns. Until September we won't have a lot of the info, including costs tied down. However we want this to be an event worthy of the area and are open to suggestions and assistance. I was in KC at the first nationals. Hit a deer the year of the Denver Nationals, in my smartie, so I am looking forward to this one. If you love the outside, hills, pine trees, dark skies and stars for miles, you will have a great time.

Abbe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Count me as a tentative for Deadwood. I may be a couple states closer by that time so that should shorten my drive :). Really excited by the thought of finally visiting that area.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.