• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I really would have preferred either the week before or after STURGIS?

I could drive my smart cross country and trailer my Harley.
And then spend two weeks in the middle of nowhere with several hundred smart friends and millions of biker friends?

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
The time we did the Black Hills in our yellow Miata (with black stripes of course) was the week end before Sturgis and there were already a million motorcycles in the area. I remember the street in front of Wall Drug was entirely filled with bikes. The bikers seemed to love our Miata and we had a great time with them so other than the increased traffic of the bikes and longer wait times at restaurants the bikers were no problem.

Our group can handle the bail problem but only because we like Linda so much.

What's Walmart?? (They are dead to us in St. Louis...Kroenke with all of his Walmart $ and wanting to move the Rams to LA.)

·
Super Moderator
28,305 Posts
Some representative distances to Deadwood, SD

in miles, from:
New York City, NY - 1738
Atlanta, GA - 1543
Detroit, MI - 1236
Jacksonville, FL - 1890
Miami, FL - 2206
Indianapolis, IN - 1125
St. Louis, MO - 990
Dallas, TX - 1092
Houston, TX - 1330
Phoenix, AZ - 1194
Las Vegas, NV - 1033
Los Angeles, CA - 1301
Portland, OR - 1178
Seattle, WA - 1100
Denver, CO - 381
Kansas City, KS - 744
Ames, IA - 648

in kilometers, from:
Vancouver, BC - 2000
Toronto, ON - 2362
Ottawa, ON - 2796
Montreal, QC - 2887
:)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
562 miles from Lincoln, NE. If the date is chosen by December I can ask for that week off as part of my required 7 days out (vacation) from work. We have to bid for vacation in December.

Edit - I just went back far enough to see that the week of June 20th 2016 is being planned. Putting it on my calendar now.

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Looking into hotel room prices and they are quite high right now, I assume for Sturgis (?) gotta start saving for next summer.. would love to make it more than a weekend, but I would hate to double up on seeing the sights ourselves vs with the group. Going to take some planning.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is Sturgis time. I was told that in Custer if a hotel has a vacancy it is going to cost 600 a night if there was no previous reservation for a room that probably wouldn't cost more then 120. Gas has also gone up 30 cents a gallon in the last few weeks. I believe that the plan is to have it run three or four days before the weekend and tie it into some free events on the weekend. Because this is tourist time even after Sturgis, we need to wait until the end of August to tie down the dates, hotels etc. The week of June 20th was just tentative.

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I hear ya, I figured it was about that time and probably was not the time to be checking room rates. I understand about the planning aspect and been there myself a few times.

·
Registered
274 Posts
2000 miles from FL... possible... 6 days just for the trip to and from. Wife would have to fly in... no way she's going to be able to get that time off. Where's the closes regional airport. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wanted to let everyone know that we have not forgotten about the Rally in Deadwood next year. Summer is a busy time for all of the black hills. Tom said to let everyone know that Sara the girl that sets up the events just took a two week vacation. Dawn (his contact with the chamber) will give me a call when they want to meet.

Hopefully this will happen in September and we can get the ball rolling.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.