Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a 2015 model with ~11k miles on it. I asked the MB dealer to do a battery diagnostic and they gave me the attached write-out. PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT BELOW
Backing up a little bit, when I test drove the vehicle last week, the battery had very little charge on it and was in limp mode. I'm going to do another test drive tomorrow and he told me that he would put it on the charger tonight for it to be fully charged when I get there. This leads me to believe that they did not charge it fully prior to this diagnostic. I might have a wrong assumption that they would need to fully charge it in order to test it.
51.4Ah out of 52Ah seems awfully good, but I'm not sure if I can trust this.
I'm hoping you guys/gals with more experience can interpret and advise.
Thank you,
Daniel
Gainesville, FL

PS: The dealer also provided me this rather interesting PDF from the Idaho National Laboratory. Looks like it's old since it mentions the vehicle at 400 miles and with a tested capacity of 52.7Ah. Anyhow, there are a bunch of graphs and technical details I think you all would find interesting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a 2015 model with ~11k miles on it. I asked the MB dealer to do a battery diagnostic and they gave me the attached write-out.

Backing up a little bit, when I test drove the vehicle last week, the battery had very little charge on it and was in limp mode. I'm going to do another test drive tomorrow and he told me that he would put it on the charger tonight for it to be fully charged when I get there.
Welcome to SCoA and the Brave New World of EV!

Someone will no doubt go into ALL the details of battery testing but here is the Reader's Digest Condensed version . . .

Battery Diagnostic/Condition (51.4Ah out of 52Ah) is the "health" of the battery without regard to charge level.

Shame on any M-B dealer/salesperson who would send anyone out for an EV road test with a HV battery that was so low that you would go into Reserve or Limp Mode. Make no decisions till you can again drive it with a FULL 100% charge.

Condition to charge level = apples to oranges . . . :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Here is the battery test procedure:

Battery - Maintenance or Status Check of High Voltage Battery
Date: May 6, 2014
Order No.: SM-B-54.10/09
Group: 54
SUBJECT: MY-All, Model 451.390/391/490/491
Preparation for Performing Maintenance Service or Status Check of High-Voltage Battery

Here is some text about prepping for the test:
"Drive vehicle (discharge) to < 40 % SOC (see left-hand round "SOC" dial on instrument panel).
^ Leave vehicle parked for approximately 2 hours (no driving, no charging).
^ After this idle period of approximately 2 hours, connect the charging cable, and fully charge the vehicle to 100 % SOC.
^ The vehicle can then be operated normally again.”

I think that if this procedure isn't followed, then you can still do the test, but it will give you data from the last time the procedure requirements were met. In your case it looks like it must have sat for the two hours at least and now having them recharge it should give you current information about the battery.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 6,500 miles

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
As this M-B dealer has been sitting on this MY15 ED for nearly 2 months, you should be able to find some wiggle room in that "asking" price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Yes, I will be low-balling them. They're asking price is high and I know what price makes sense for me right now. Hopefully they are motivated to sell. I'm in the fortunate position that I can walk away and it won't bother me a bit.
As for this battery pack, it sounds like it's very healthy, no?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts