Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, much to surprise, my dealer called me this afternoon. I had called them about 4 weeks ago and they took my name and phone number down. They called me today to let me know that the show room should be ready by mid-December and that I will be receiving updates from them. They also said that they should receive final confirmation from SMART that they are officially a SMART dealer. Since I made my reservation the first week of August I asked about where he thought I was in the reservation line. He told me to expect to take delivery by the end of next summer or maybe the fall. :(

Oh well, I'll have the full amount saved by then and I'm pretty sure the SMART is worth the wait. Also, he told me that when the demo cars come in I was welcome to come down and drive them as many times as I want.

:D

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Well, much to surprise, my dealer called me this afternoon. I had called them about 4 weeks ago and they took my name and phone number down. They called me today to let me know that the show room should be ready by mid-December and that I will be receiving updates from them. They also said that they should receive final confirmation from SMART that they are officially a SMART dealer. Since I made my reservation the first week of August I asked about where he thought I was in the reservation line. He told me to expect to take delivery by the end of next summer or maybe the fall. :(

Oh well, I'll have the full amount saved by then and I'm pretty sure the SMART is worth the wait. Also, he told me that when the demo cars come in I was welcome to come down and drive them as many times as I want.

:D
Yeah, stretch those demo rides into 4 hour sojournes through the Sierras.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sounds like a pretty nice dealership to offer up so much. It's rather refreshing that they aren't just interested in taking your money ;)
I can't wait to read more stories like this one vey soon ( including experiencing it for myself too). Thanks for sharing I'm getting very excited!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The person that called me was the SMART Sales Director and he was very nice. He confirmed that the reservation system is working and that all the dealers are only allowed to take those in the reservation system. They are not allowed to sell a SMART to anyone who comes in off the street. That was great to hear, no one can "cut" in front of a reservation.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Omaha dealer stated that as well... going as far as to say that it is part of their contract with Smart USA that all sales must go through the reservation system in order of reservation.

I hope that holds true... but makes me wonder if there are "exceptions" to the rule. Somehow I think if Warren Buffett walked in off the street and offered $100K for a car he would get one before any of us.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) That would be interesting to say the least. My bet would still be on the dealership holding to it's word, they have a lot at stake especially if the SMART is the next "big" thing to hit the U.S. highways. I would imagine that Penske would pull the dealership immediately if the dealer did anything but what they've agreed to do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hope that holds true... but makes me wonder if there are "exceptions" to the rule. Somehow I think if Warren Buffett walked in off the street and offered $100K for a car he would get one before any of us.

I'm quite sure Mr. Buffett would not be anywhere near a dealer. He would simply call Mr. Penske and would avoid putting your local dealer on the spot.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I think Warren would come after Roger in the car delivery process. Roger has a reservation at MSRP (per his comments on the San Jose video0).

Question is, what happens to those orphaned smarts that come in and the reserver fails to complete a purchase agreement? Next in line to the person who happened to order that exact car at that dealership, or off to the "highest bidder."

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
dickey: it's not written in stone to my knowledge but my rep says that orphans get redirected to the next person on that dealerships list. The next question is when that list runs out does it go to the next closest area list or to the public at that point. Sheesh!! :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SmartBob, I heard the same thing from my dealer. They go to the next person at the dealership who is on the list. Seems like a costly thing though to ship the little guys around the country just to fit the next person on the list. But you never know, Penske is treading into uncharted waters.
:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
When Harleys were hot and hard to get, my local dealer had a list, when my name came up he said here is what I have, do you want it? At first I did not like the color that much but due to the shortage I bought it and came to love the color and got many compliments on it. He was a very fair dealer and it reminds me of the Smart situation today. And everything I read about Roger Penske has me convinced that he is a throwback to when honesty and fair play was the order of the day. I have complete faith in Mr. Penskes ability and desire to do the right thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts