Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a SMART ordered since Feb 2008. Received a call on Saturday 10/25/08 that an orphan was available. I got excited. Upon reviewing the invoice I saw 2 items I was not familar with;

1- a charge of $499.00 for Dealer Profit, paper work and prep. I thought that the dealers profit was built into the price of the car. Can anyone offer any input?

2- a tire warranty. Somehow I had forgotten that the SMART does not have a spare. Can anyone provide their opinion on this tire warranty?

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
The "dealer profit" is just another name for the dealer prep fees we all pay to one extent or another. Yours is on the high side.

It would be good if you could talk them out of the tire warranty; it isn't like they installed something. The reports on the value of that warranty are not totally positive. It is just an additional profit-maker for the dealer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The dealer where I bought mine charges $249 for a Doc fee. I didnt have a problem with it because they werent my area dealer. That meant they lost out on the 2% profit for selling local. Now, if they were right down the street, I might have grumbled a bit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The dealer where I bought mine charges $249 for a Doc fee. I didnt have a problem with it because they werent my area dealer. That meant they lost out on the 2% profit for selling local. Now, if they were right down the street, I might have grumbled a bit.
i DID grumble about the $249. smartcenter edison (NJ) is a ray catena dealership, and they have a sister dealership in NY state, smartcenter white plains. since NY has laws limiting dealer "prep" fees, the white plains ray catena only charges $45. i was told the $249 was non-negotiable. :bangwall: hrmmmmph.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have had a SMART ordered since Feb 2008. Received a call on Saturday 10/25/08 that an orphan was available. I got excited. Upon reviewing the invoice I saw 2 items I was not familar with;

1- a charge of $499.00 for Dealer Profit, paper work and prep. I thought that the dealers profit was built into the price of the car. Can anyone offer any input?

2- a tire warranty. Somehow I had forgotten that the SMART does not have a spare. Can anyone provide their opinion on this tire warranty?
The tire warranty may be fully refundable if cancelled within first 60? days-read the fine print

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts

1- a charge of $499.00 for Dealer Profit, paper work and prep. I thought that the dealers profit was built into the price of the car. Can anyone offer any input?[...]
It wasn't $479.70 as listed here?:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f65/dealer-fees-8529/
If so, confirm so we can change the listing. Thank you. It's the way it goes... :rolleyes:
Welcome to the owner's club, and many smiling miles! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts