Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the Web sites in the non North American countries show a wealth of accessories and dealer options with the price of the vehicle locked in "it would seem" by PAG a dealer could conceivably make a few euros selling the stuff you can see available elsewhere. Things that make you go hum.
karl

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
You are probably correct; the falling dollar is just what we don't need in this situation. We can buy most of those parts from Europe now but with shipping they are just too costly. Maybe (don't hold your breath) we'll get the same price break on parts and accessories as we do on the basic car. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just hope dealer installed options are not mandatory.

When I bought my MINI back in 2002 there was the "mandatory" dealer installed options. So although the car sold for MSRP, you were REQUIRED to get the dealer installed 6 disc CD changer, the chrome tip muffler, and the grocery box thingy that went in the boot. I remember it all added $900 to the price of the car.

Let's hope Smart dealers don't do the same...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
...Let's hope Smart dealers don't do the same...
Of course they will try, especially with the extended warranties, but nothing new for any dealership to try. However, all the information we've been getting from smart USA says that there will be no dealer markup and cars will be sold at MSRP.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
That's BS!!

When I bought my MINI back in 2002 there was the "mandatory" dealer installed options. So although the car sold for MSRP, you were REQUIRED to get the dealer installed 6 disc CD changer, the chrome tip muffler, and the grocery box thingy that went in the boot. I remember it all added $900 to the price of the car.

The Honda dealers tried to do that to the first year S-2000 buyers...me included. :mad:
My wife and I just walked out while the salesman was still talking. We finally found a dealer in Saratoga who would sell the base car with whatever options we wanted and he didn't EVEN try to stuff all the other options down our throats. Ofcourse, I didtell him what my experience was (with the other dealers) before he got a chance to talk so you might say I prepped him alittle bit.....:D But we ended up with the car we wanted and the price we wanted to get it for....well alittle more but youknow what I mean. :)
I don't believe the MB dealers will try that kind of scam with the Smart...hope not anyway.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts

So far, according to a phonecall with SmartUsa last week, there will initially be no dealer installed options available in the U.S.

The dealer mark-up will all be in the extended warranty.

·
Registered
931 Posts
lhoboy, I disagree. There WILL be dealer installed options available, but not the mandatory "juice" the price type. The smart center in SF definitely displays Brabus wheels, and other posts have attested to dealer installed options. As I recall some factory installed options will not be available from the dealer. I think that the tach and clock is one, but not sure.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
lhoboy, I disagree. There WILL be dealer installed options available, but not the mandatory "juice" the price type. The smart center in SF definitely displays Brabus wheels, and other posts have attested to dealer installed options. As I recall some factory installed options will not be available from the dealer. I think that the tach and clock is one, but not sure.
You are right. I misstated. None of the currently available factory options or features will be available for deaaler installation. So far, SmartUsa is disavowing any officially available Smart accessories. What the dealer choose to offer, including Smart accessories souced in Europe, is up to them.

For those of us that have configured through the reservation system, the Dealer will not be able to force us to take any add-ons. If unclaimed cars are made available for walk-in customers (assuming they aren't offered to the next in line as previously indicated), I'm certain the dealerships will pimp them out with whatever they can to jack up the price.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't want them to shove anything down my throat there are neat things on the list of accessories available overseas. Would be a shame not to be able to get a bike rack or such.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts