Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long time since I've purchased a new car. In the old days "dealer prep" fees were basically additional dealer profit IMO. I would not buy a car at a dealership where those fees were what I considered excessive. What I'm wondering is what are your experiences with dealer prep fees for the electric Smarts? I know that the profit margin is very slim, but I still hate to see $398 documentary and prep fees included in the paperwork for the dealer I'm working with. What have all of you been experiencing along those lines?

Len

·
Registered
646 Posts
California caps dealer prep fees at $80 (when the thread listed above was started, the cap was $55 but it has since been raised to $80).

I know a lot of states let them go up to $495 or higher.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I WILL NOT BUY FROM A DEALER WHO ADDS FEES! I have no problem paying actual cost of fees for titling, tags, tax, etc.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Have you found a dealer who does not charge any doc fees?

I know that if they do charge, it has to be non-negotiable and the same for every customer, otherwise the dealership opens itself up to a variety of lawsuits.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I WILL NOT BUY FROM A DEALER WHO ADDS FEES! I have no problem paying actual cost of fees for titling, tags, tax, etc.
This is one where depending on state, YMMV!

TrueCar.com has compiled a list of average doc fees charged in each state. The data is from July 2012.

Eight states (CA, IL, LA, MD, MN, NY, OH, WA) set a maximum for dealer documentation fees; seven states (AR, KS, MI, MO, NH, NM, TX†) do not have doc fee caps but do have restrictions on what "doc fees" can be called, and where information about them can be displayed; the remaining 35 states do not regulate dealer documentation fees, aside from some general requirements requiring dealers to post the same fee for all customers.

They found the highest doc fees to be in the Southeast region of the United States with Florida having an average doc fee of $610. The lowest doc fee is found in California, with an average fee of only $56.

Link added at OP's request:
http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/w...s-the-doc-fee/

·
Registered
465 Posts
Dealer prep is not the same thing as dealer documentation fees. Dealer prep is supposed to pay for that stuff that they charge you for but don't do. Ever noticed how many new cars have headlights pointing every which way. Dealer are supposed to check that stuff. Dealer prep!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts